Posted By: 1wife4mothers Nueropathy after radiation - 10-02-2009 03:08 PM
Husband finished radiation only, no chemo, for a tonsil cancer begining of 2007. All follow-ups are great.
Now being tested for nueropathy
Anyone else experiencing symptoms?

Margaret
Posted By: Sophie H. Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-02-2009 03:41 PM
Yes, my husband has although he was significantly worse the first 6 months after treatment and is doing much better. He went to occupational therapy which helped him (might depend on symptoms).
Posted By: 1wife4mothers Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-08-2009 04:22 PM
Anyone else?
Posted By: Gary Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-08-2009 10:09 PM
I had pretty much the same cancer and treatment and am accumulating some collateral damage from the radiation, some several years out. Most neuropathy issues, however, are chemotherapy related. I have not had any neuropathy issues in almost 7 years post dx. I never had a neuropathy test - does he have symptoms? Did he have chemo?
Posted By: travelottie Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-08-2009 11:34 PM
My husband has had neuropathy of hands and feet since completing tx. It has improved very little. He is able to do fine motor activities and walks OK but it is uncomfortable and the cold bothers him. MDs blame the chemo and we were warned about this possible side effect.
Lottie
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-09-2009 02:39 AM
Neuropathy can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. Has he had his thyroid levels checked?
Posted By: 1wife4mothers Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-20-2009 09:24 PM
Update 10/20

Life is interesting.
Learning more everyday.

All blood work is fine including thyroid levels.
He has been on thyroid medication for about a yr now.

Went to see the neurologist and had electromyography done for nerve damage to the brachial plexus. The Dr said he has seen this in patients who had radiation to the head and neck. We will get the official results on Nov 9th.

Had his regular 4 month checkup yesterday with his tonsil Dr.
Dr is very happy with the way his throat looks. Very pleased with how he is doing.
but
Did mention muscle atrophy as a possible diagnosis that the nuerologist may make.
Needless to say we were in total shock.
Muscle atrophy........... oh my.
He said it only about 1% of patients he sees has that radiation complaint after treatment.
I couldn't even think of any questions to ask, just sat there.
Anyway his tonsil Dr said to keep him updated on what the nuerologist says, Nov 9th, and to get a refferal to a very good sports injury therapist.
Guess till we find out exactly what is going on will just hang in there with a positive attitude.
He had no chemo, just the radiation.
Posted By: Kris Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-21-2009 07:31 PM
I have had neuropathy down my left arm and first three fingers continually for over 7 years since end of treatment. They have tried PT and message but not much change. I do have hypothyroidism but was diagnosed about a year after treatment, so the medication for that issue has not effected the neuropathy. Have had this year a lumpectomy, lymph nodes removed under same arm, chemo and more radiation so the neopathy has now advanced to include shoulder and upper arm. Using Gabapentin which gives some relief and still planning on getting back to the kayak come spring! Amazing what you can live with. - Kris
Posted By: 1wife4mothers Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-21-2009 09:34 PM
Kris,
It is the LIVING with all the side effects that's important.

The hardest part is not knowing how to battle effectively yet.
Once we know what the fight is........ we make a darn good team.

Margaret
Posted By: Kris Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-26-2009 04:56 PM
Margaret,
That is why I so love this web site! You can learn so much about the road to recovery and the questions you should be asking to your docs as you go down that path. Knowledge removes so much of the fear! Survivors need to focus on just surviving one day at a time. Caregivers can add the hope to that focus by doing the research and knowing the questions to ask along the way. Knowing long time survivors shows us all that we can live with the side effects! Beating the odds and those crazy statistics they love to through at us :-) - Kris
Posted By: 1wife4mothers Re: Nueropathy after radiation - 10-26-2009 06:00 PM
Kris,
This web site not only provides information but also helps with attitude.

My kids say I have a warped sense of humor but boy has it come in handy.
Statistics are helpful but beating them is the best!

Margaret
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum