Posted By: CharlieR Swallowing & Mucous Problem - 12-13-2008 08:53 PM
I need some insight ino the post-radiation convalescing period.

I am 5 weeks out of radiation treatment. I have a PEG that is currently my only source of nutrition. The overwhelming amount of mucous that was a problem during TX and immediately after has lessened to the point that I can finally sleep lying down again smile

My problem is that I am trying to start taking liquids and mushy solids by mouth. When I swallow I have a lot of pain around what seems to be the adams apple area of my throat. And while I manage to get the liquid or mushy solids down, I then immediately have to clear large amounts of stringy mucous from my throat. So for every swallow, I spend 30 or 40 seconds expectorating (nice big word) into my ball and chaim spitoon that follows me everywhere.

Is this how it happens, or am I blessed wiyh a one of a kind problem? The mucous routine is driving me (and my family) nuts. mad
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Swallowing & Mucous Problem - 12-13-2008 09:24 PM
I had radiation twice, and I guess I drank so MUCH water with each bite that the water took care of the mucous? Hopefully someone with more experience in exactly your problem can help.

Donna
Posted By: travelottie Re: Swallowing & Mucous Problem - 12-17-2008 09:51 PM
I wrote regarding a similar problem on page 3, titled Mucus - Delaying Recovery. You might want to check out the response to that post.

At 15 weeks post tx. the mucus has finally decreased. My husband is no longer choking and is starting to eat small amounts of food. He did not experience the type of pain that you describe. Lottie
Posted By: EzJim Re: Swallowing & Mucous Problem - 12-18-2008 01:34 AM
I've had the mucous problem for the last year and 4 months and it seems to associate itself with this blasted dry mouth. My thoughts are the mucous is thick and gooey because the mouth is as dry as the Sahara . Dr told me I might never get the saliva back. I'm glad he is truthful with me about everything. I don't like false promises.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Swallowing & Mucous Problem - 12-18-2008 03:02 AM
Charlie

The heavy mucous should start to ease up soon. I think I had that problem for about 2 months. The more water you consume, the better. Swallow and stretch your mouth open as wide as possible several times per day. Try some musinex or robotussin to help break it up. Recovery is a very long road, sometimes more difficult than treatment. Hang in there, it will get better, just take it day by day.
Posted By: rd2008 Re: Swallowing & Mucous Problem - 12-20-2008 10:10 PM
To give you my take on your problem , I also had the same problem and IT WILL GO AWAY! just give it time. It went away for me so I'm just giving you my opinion. It seems like with mouth cancer it just takes forever for things to get back to some what of a normal state. Just hang in there and take it one day at a time.Just drink A LOT of water!!!!

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum