Posted By: Ray1971 sweets - 12-09-2008 01:09 PM
Two or three days ago the liquid diet started to taste better. VHC, Boost and Ensure where all tolerable. Then yesterday I was able to taste honey in my tea! And VHC tasted not that bad...Then as the day went on the taste of sweetness became very strong. By the end of the day VHC and Boost was like drinking pure sugar, one teaspoon of honey in my hot tea was overpowering. I remember VHC tasting like pancake mix pre-tx...now it's like a can of sugar? I take this as a good sign, a very good sign but this took me by surprise. I always expected my sweet taste buds to come back last or not at all. Everyone sure is different...hope I keep it.
Posted By: EzJim Re: sweets - 12-09-2008 01:59 PM
Ray, good luck with those sweet tastes. It seems that they get too strong . I wish the taste buds and saliva would come back and improve all the food. Even fruit juice fires these "Sweet Buds" up. I keepmy biotene tooth paste at the ready along with the biotene mouth wash for these times.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: sweets - 12-09-2008 02:46 PM
My ability to taste sweets never left me and never spiked like what you described either but I do now enjoy eating sweet things the most which is not a good thing.
Posted By: lvredrock Re: sweets - 12-12-2008 04:18 AM
One thinking I missed is having a Hot Fudge Sunday, Pumpkin Pie and cakes. I have found out since I have had my radiation treatments. I can not handle anything sweet at all. When I go out to dinner I will order appetizer and then my main course. To me the appetizer is my dessert. One good is that I lost weight with out all of the sugar going into my body.
Posted By: Pete D Re: sweets - 12-12-2008 05:46 AM
One thing about cancer is that it seems to be one of the most effective diets around, second only to shark attacks and being born in Ethiopia...

I still can't taste sweet, but I AM enjoying pumpkin pie season -- I just skip the whipped cream except as a food lubricant!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: sweets - 12-12-2008 02:53 PM
When I was beginning to eat solid foods post Tx I found that ordering off the childrens menu was perfect since I just couldn't eat a regular portion for many reasons.
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: sweets - 12-12-2008 05:42 PM
That's a good idea order from the children's menu or an appetizer
Posted By: sobradley Re: sweets - 12-12-2008 10:30 PM
I'm the same way. My sweet taste buds and my sour taste buds are working over time! Even juice tastes super sweet to me. So now, I basically drink milk and water. I do still like chocolate a lot and fruit if I cut it with peanut butter. Oh, and the other thing, I can taste the difference in different types of waters - I guess chemicals and stuff. I don't remember ever really being able to tell before and now there's some water I won't drink because of the taste.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum