Posted By: trt low hormone levels - 10-25-2008 07:41 PM
Finally saw an endocrinologist.

Found low testosterone and TSH.

He thought that low TSH is ok, because the other thyroid levels were ok, but started testosterone injections 100ml every 2 weeks with a recheck exam in 3 months than changed to 14 weeks. Had 3 injections so far.

I don't feel much of a difference in fatigue, etc.

Is 12-14 weeks ok to recheck or should it be sooner?

How long does it normally take for hormone levels to increase.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: low hormone levels - 10-26-2008 02:58 AM
I use the Androderm patches daily for testosterone, it is simple and works well. What a change in my lean body mass after a few months of those and going to the club. The synthroid is also simple pills. It took about one month for all things to get balanced and now I have it checked every year.
Posted By: Pete D Re: low hormone levels - 10-26-2008 04:56 AM
My Doc checks my thyroid (Via TSH) semi-annually, however it's almost invariably off, so we do a couple of rounds of 'change dose and come back in a month'. Interestingly, I have been from zero to 85 on TSH in a few months and really didn't feel much difference (some of the symptoms are the same on both ends of the scale).
Posted By: trt Re: low hormone levels - 10-27-2008 02:24 AM
After starting the Androderm, how long did they wait to check your hormone levels via blood tests (1 month). Did you notice a difference immediately. What was the target testosterone level?

Does the androderm cause any rashes or other skin problems?

Did you also try Androgel.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: low hormone levels - 10-27-2008 02:31 AM
The patch is easier to use than the cream. I noticed a difference in 30 days, and one year later have only adjusted my levels one time. I was floored to find originally 8 years out from treatment that my testosterone levels where in the toilet. I mean the family jewels are a long way away from my area of radiation. But the pituitary is the master and commander gland, and it was near enough to scatter radiation from treatments to go south. That throws off all your hormone levels.
Posted By: trt Re: low hormone levels - 10-27-2008 02:34 AM
has anyone here used injections successfully? What was the final dosage?
I noticed that the typical dosage is 200ml per 2 weeks, yet I am getting 100 every 2 weeks.
Posted By: trt Re: low hormone levels - 10-28-2008 06:16 AM
anyone experiencing headaches, dizziness or flu like symptoms?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: low hormone levels - 10-28-2008 11:03 AM
Dizziness is a common after effect of tx.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: low hormone levels - 10-28-2008 02:40 PM
I also felt dizzy for a long while after Tx and I noticed more when I was walking up or down stairs where I often felt I was about to miss a stair or when I turned my head quickly. Don't notice it now.

Never had the other 2 though.
Posted By: trt Re: low hormone levels - 10-28-2008 03:51 PM
I was not dizzy after the 1st injection. I think I started feeling it after the 3rd.

I've been sick for about a month. First I had headaches and throat pain/swelling. Antibiotics for 5 days reduced the throat problems. Headaches remained. Swab test was negative for bacteria in throat and nose.

Then dizziness set in after about 5 weeks.

I don't know if I caught a bug (virus) or if these are side effects of injections.

Are there fewer side effects with patches and gels than with injections. Should I switch to them.
Posted By: trt Re: low hormone levels - 10-28-2008 03:54 PM
Why is the patch easier?

Have you experienced any dizziness, headaches or throat pain.

It appears the pituitary is right behind the nose and was possibly affected in my case, too though the Th was pretty targeted and the Endocrinologist was not sure it was. I'll ask the RO.

[quote=Brian Hill]The patch is easier to use than the cream. I noticed a difference in 30 days, and one year later have only adjusted my levels one time. I was floored to find originally 8 years out from treatment that my testosterone levels where in the toilet. I mean the family jewels are a long way away from my area of radiation. But the pituitary is the master and commander gland, and it was near enough to scatter radiation from treatments to go south. That throws off all your hormone levels. [/quote]
Posted By: Pete D Re: low hormone levels - 10-28-2008 10:18 PM
I had dizziness when standing up, but what had happened is my high blood pressure dropped as I lost weight. I had to start taking less meds for hypertension.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: low hormone levels - 10-28-2008 11:40 PM
Dosing with the patch is exact every time. It doesn't get all over your hands. It does not get on your clothes. The dizzyness comes from the narrowing of your carotids from scar tissue in them from the radiation. Very common in head and neck cancer patients that have had radiation. The only good thing about this kind of partial occlusion of them is that it is scar tissue, wall thickening - Not a fatty plaque that is going to break off and cause a stroke.
Posted By: trt Re: low hormone levels - 10-29-2008 03:29 PM
Is the dizziness also related to Testosterone shots. I started having strong dizziness a few weeks ago and it's not constant.

[quote=Brian Hill]Dosing with the patch is exact every time. It doesn't get all over your hands. It does not get on your clothes. The dizzyness comes from the narrowing of your carotids from scar tissue in them from the radiation. Very common in head and neck cancer patients that have had radiation. The only good thing about this kind of partial occlusion of them is that it is scar tissue, wall thickening - Not a fatty plaque that is going to break off and cause a stroke. [/quote]
Posted By: davidcpa Re: low hormone levels - 10-29-2008 09:47 PM
I never had any testosterone shots and I was dizzy for a while post Tx.
Posted By: trt Re: low hormone levels - 10-30-2008 05:40 PM
I had major dizziness during radiation. I had some light dizziness before shots and Post Tx. It was minor.

The new incidence of diziness one occurred about 3 weeks ago,about 4 weeks after starting shots. I also had headaches and throat pain/discomfort as if from a virus.

I saw the RO and she thought that Tx never affected the pituitary gland or any part of the brain. Does that make sense or is it possible that it somehow got whacked. i.e. is it possible to avoid the pituitary gland when treating the inside of the mouth. (Tx was to soft palate, left cheek, I had hair loss at the back/bottom of the head/hair and left side of the face.

I wonder what caused the testosterone levels to drop if it was not Tx.
Posted By: trt Re: low hormone levels - 11-25-2008 10:20 AM
ok so testosterone is now at 500 which is normal however I don't see much change in ability to recover from exercise and fatigue.

I guess it's something else then or could it take longer than 2 months for other changes to take effect.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: low hormone levels - 11-25-2008 04:16 PM
I was weak as a kitten for perhaps 4 months post Tx and then I was Dx'ed with hypothyroidism and started taking meds which helped.
Posted By: trt Re: low hormone levels - 11-26-2008 08:07 AM
I am now 18 months post Tx, but 2 mos since starting hormone supplementation.

[quote=davidcpa]I was weak as a kitten for perhaps 4 months post Tx and then I was Dx'ed with hypothyroidism and started taking meds which helped. [/quote]
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum