Posted By: angie88 redness in radiation area - 06-05-2008 01:08 PM
I've been done with radiation for a year now and all my redness have been gone for a while. The other day though all of sudden where I had most of my radiation in my cheek turned completely red and I don't know why. It went away by the next day and yes I am going to ask my oncologist about it but was just wondering if anyone else have had this happen?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: redness in radiation area - 06-05-2008 01:52 PM
Did you perhaps expose that area to sun as it may be more sensitive than before?
Posted By: angie88 Re: redness in radiation area - 06-05-2008 01:59 PM
No.... You would think that that was it but I hadn't been out in the sun.. The only thing that I can figure is maybe my sinus just got clogged up and irriatated by something.... Thanks though.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: redness in radiation area - 06-05-2008 02:02 PM
Did someone say something to make you blush? LOL
Posted By: angie88 Re: redness in radiation area - 06-05-2008 02:03 PM
I wish LOL
Posted By: Nelie Re: redness in radiation area - 06-05-2008 02:23 PM
Angie, I had the same thing happen to me once. I was over a year out of radiation and my entire skin in the radiated area turned bright red and was kind of itchy/sore to the touch. It took a little over a day for it to go away.

I have no idea why it happened. My guess is something irritated my skin and it took a little bit longer to recover from the irritation because of the damage from radiation.

I can tell you that in my case it only happened once and has never happened again. If you get a good answer from your oncologist, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Nelie
Posted By: Nelie Re: redness in radiation area - 06-05-2008 02:26 PM
I forgot to add that I do have sensitive skin anyway. I don't use makeup in my face where it was radiated because I worry it could irritate my skin and I don't use any kind of scented soap to wash myself. I use an unscented moisturizer for sensitive skin in the winter. Is it possible you were using a new soap or even laudry detergent?

Nelie
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum