Posted By: Alexants Rotten taste & odor. Yuck! - 02-16-2008 06:34 PM
Howdy all. I'm about 10 weeks out of radiation & chemo treatment, and according to the docs and what I'm reading here my recovery is coming along fairly well. I'm eating well, limited to softer foods like pasta, beans, soft veggies and of course the canned nutrition drink. My mucositis has subsided a good deal, although I'm still hacking up big wads several times a day. My question is in regards to the ugliest, foulest odor and taste which has recently invaded my mouth and throat. I cannot describe how foul it is, but it would knock a buzzard off a manure wagon. It seems to be coming from the area of the top of the throat where there is a small bit of drainage from the nasal passages in to my throat. I know rotting food will cause odors, but I'm certain this is not the cause. After I eat, I am careful to rinse and gargle with salt/baking soda solution, and cough out any food bits which may be hung up in the inflamed tissues of my throat. Anyone share this dilemma and have any answer? And why might have this come up only in the last week or two? Any advice would be most appreciated, and thank you! By the way, I am thankful to still be alive!!!
Posted By: Nelie Re: Rotten taste & odor. Yuck! - 02-16-2008 10:57 PM
When I had that symptom it turned out to be a sign of thrush. I would get it checked out because if it is thruish it will get worse if you don't treat it fast.

Nelie
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: Rotten taste & odor. Yuck! - 02-20-2008 01:42 AM
I had thrush while going through treatments not only did it smell and taste horrible it was painful Yes do get it checked out and soon because it was easily treated for me and I felt so much better afterward. Brenda
Posted By: Cookey Re: Rotten taste & odor. Yuck! - 02-20-2008 02:09 AM
Such a bad smell is often caused by a condition called sloughing,an unpleasant part of the post rad healing process which is when necrotic or dead skin peels away from the lining of the mouth or throat,and will be in the globs of mucous expectorated when you cough .Hopefully it reveals pink healthy tissue underneath which shows that healing of rad burns is under way.This can also be made worse by the presence of thrush which requires prescription medication,
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum