Posted By: JeffL PET/CT Follow Up - 10-15-2007 01:05 PM
Saw my primary surgeon/ENT/oncologist today to review results of first PET/CT scan, which showed total resolution of the BOT tumor, but hot spots in some nodes (2 right, 1 left). It has been a rather anxious time since the phone call with the results.

The doctor does not believe that the PET scan is truly showing a recurrence/residual cancer. The aggressiveness of my treatment, the low SUV numbers and his inability to palpate anything in these areas leads him to believe these are false positives caused by the radiation, surgery, lymphedema, etc.

He indicated that he could do an exploratory neck surgery, but that it would be like shooting in the dark, since there are no enlarged nodes. Instead, we are going to repeat the scan in 6 weeks or so, and see what it shows.

In the interim, I have follow up visits already scheduled with the radiation oncologist and medical oncologist, so their exams can confirm the node status.

While not truly an "all clear", the doctor's tone and manner was very reassuring, as it was clear he really does not think that there is anything to worry about. Whew . . . I get to breathe a little easier -- -at least until the next scan!! ;-)

Thanks for all of the ongoing support, everyone!! BTW, I ran into Jim from this board at the CCC, and we had a great chat!
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: PET/CT Follow Up - 10-15-2007 10:24 PM
Hi Jeff: Wishing the VERY best for you..and thankful for your positive report!

Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: girlcat36 Re: PET/CT Follow Up - 10-16-2007 05:56 PM
So glad your doctor was reassuring. Best of luck to you!
Posted By: EzJim Re: PET/CT Follow Up - 10-18-2007 07:09 PM
I just found your post Jeff. You have a way with words. I wish I could express myself the way you do. I wish the best for you and will have you in my prayers.. Jim
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: PET/CT Follow Up - 10-18-2007 09:52 PM
False postive PET's at this timeline are really common. For that reason, many centers do not even do them so soon after treatment. I would, from all of the false positives that we have seen here, feel good with what you have been told.
Posted By: JeffL Re: PET/CT Follow Up - 10-25-2007 01:51 PM
Saw my Radiation Oncologist yesterday, and he basically confirmed what my surgeon said. He is not concerned at all and said that he was somewhat surprised that more stuff didn't light up. Good to go for another 3 months as far as he is concerned. Another bullet dodged for the moment.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum