Posted By: Markus Speech therapy/prosthetics - 09-17-2007 01:36 AM
Does anyone have experience with speech therapy?

For the most part my speech is fine. The main problem are sharp s or z which sound more like a sh. For people I deal with on a daily basis this is not an issue. However, for lecturing and (especially) seminars I consider it a handicap. To be sure in the big picture is a very very minor nuisance (a portion of this may just be in my head
Posted By: Me2 Re: Speech therapy/prosthetics - 09-17-2007 09:55 AM
Hi Markus - I sent you a PM with more detail, since we are both in Atlanta I wanted to share my experience. As I do a lot of presentations and public speaking, I did have some speech therapy. I went to the Evelyn Trammell Voice and Swallowing center at St. Joes hospital. I only saw my therapist a few times but he really helped by giving me both tongue exercises and dictation exercises to do on my own. I still do them occasionally, and I have to say that my physicians have commented on my great tongue mobility - I hardly have any restriction which can happen with a partial glossectomy.
Posted By: edeevee Re: Speech therapy/prosthetics - 09-19-2007 09:00 AM
My son's speech improved remarkably with speech therapy. He had six weeks of it, once a week, for half an hour. I can understand him on the phone now, whereas I couldn't before. I say -- go for it.

Darcy (Matt's mom)
Posted By: Markus Re: Speech therapy/prosthetics - 09-21-2007 03:16 AM
:p :p :p :p

Thank you for the info provided.

I will give this a try.

M

:p :p :p :p
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum