Posted By: Corvette0212 Salty Taste Wont Go Away - 01-30-2007 02:12 AM
Hi, I am writing this for my Dad who had SCC on his tongue stage 2 with a neck dissection and they removed 18 lympth nodes and found 1 positive approx 3 years ago. He also had 6 weeks of IMRT (I think this was the name of it) radiation.

He lost his salivary glands completely due to the radiation. My questions is has anyone experienced a very salty mouth after having similar cancer and/or treatment?

Also, does anyone have any advice as to what else he could try for the VERY DRY mouth he has constantly besides the ones that have not worked for him previously, ie: Biotene, Moisture Mists etc.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
confused
Posted By: Dragan Re: Salty Taste Wont Go Away - 01-30-2007 11:22 AM
I had a more extensive surgery, and the same IMRT radiaiton as your Dad.

I can't say that I had a salty lingering taste in my mouth particularily. It's taken a long while for my taste to be anywhere close to normal. I have days where nothing tastes right, and my tongue is so sensitive that even water that isn't cold enough tastes really funny.

I find that I brush my teeth 5 or times a day, and that tends to keep the odd tastes under control. A mild toothpaste is a must for me, though. Something strong just substitutes one overpowering taste for another.

The dry mouth is something I think we can all relate to. Most of the products you mention give very short term relief. A water bottle has become an extension of my arm, almost all the time. There are a couple of drugs available that may improve the level of salivary function for him; one is salgen...you may want to talk to his doctor about it.
Wayne
Posted By: Pete D Re: Salty Taste Wont Go Away - 01-31-2007 02:03 AM
I had a phase for a few months after end of radiation (XRT) where the only taste I had was salt and everything was too salty but it did only last a few months.

After one year, I have much of my taste back, but it only lasts for a few bites and then becomes bland, as if my taste buds had tuned that taste out...
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum