Posted By: Jordan12 Burning sensation on tongue - 01-01-2007 08:25 PM
My husband is 9 months post treatment. His pet scan in November shows no sign of cancer. After 11 months of being unable to swallow due to a sricture blocking his esopaghus he is finally able to eat. His sense of taste is coming back and he can taste the food. We are concerned because over the past week whenevr he eats- his tongue burns like he has had spicy food- which he hasn't. He sees his ENT this friday and we will ask. All of you give the best and most practical advice. Any thoghts as to what it is? treatment?
Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw Re: Burning sensation on tongue - 01-01-2007 08:41 PM
Probably nothing, The nerves will eventually become non reactive. Radiated tissue (tongue) behaves very differently from normal tissue. I feel like your ENT will back me up on this, but you are correct to ask he/she about the burning.
Darrell
Posted By: Cathy G Re: Burning sensation on tongue - 01-01-2007 11:03 PM
I found that as nerves regenerated, they seemed to be hypersensitive and frequently felt like my tongue was burning. I'm now more than 17 years after the end of radiation and still have times when my tongue seems to over-react to certain foods.

As Darrell said, it's a good idea to talk to your doctor about this, but it could well be part of the ongoing healing process.

Cathy
Posted By: Steve Daib Re: Burning sensation on tongue - 01-02-2007 10:46 AM
Ditto to Cathy & Darrell. I had the same feeling with all but very bland food for several months after I was able to eat again.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum