Posted By: DebTx First post tx follow up today - 11-01-2006 09:58 AM
Here we are back at MD Anderson for follow up. Through this whole experience my husband never discussed fear of recurrance, tx failure, etc... All of a sudden this week it hit him full force. He was terrified of coming back here ("What if the treatment didn't work?" What if it comes back?") All natural fears I've been processing myself since the day tx started, but for him they're new feelings.

We're seeing all the docs today and tomorrow and getting our first post tx CAT scan. We'll post follow up as we know anything.

Deb
Posted By: davidcpa Re: First post tx follow up today - 11-01-2006 10:21 AM
Deb

I just went through this. I had my 1st Cat last week and I rec'd the results yesterday. Complete remission. I know talk is cheap but there is nothing he can do but wait and hope. The odds are definitely in his favor that he will be cancer free.

We all have to live with the 20-30% chance that it will come back but that is far better than the 100% we just dealt with.
Posted By: Nelie Re: First post tx follow up today - 11-01-2006 11:05 AM
Deb, I have my fingers crossed for you. As David says, the odds are in your favor. I know how those fears are and I hope soon you'll be able to put them to rest (at least as much as any of us can).

Nelie
Posted By: Stoj Re: First post tx follow up today - 11-01-2006 11:31 AM
Deb,

I hope and pray all goes well with your follow-up. Sometimes I think the fear of recurrence is the worst part of all this.
Posted By: DebTx Re: First post tx follow up today - 11-05-2006 04:49 PM
Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

The exam went well. Initial (office) read on CAT scan shows "no cancer" - that's reassuring. It shows that the internal tissue is still swollen, (though the visible tissue appears healed to the naked eye). This swelling probably accounts for the continued nausea and morning vomiting. He's got some lymphedema as well under the neck - and we'll look for a PT to help with that.

His anxiety now is mostly about recovery being so slow. We heard over and over again the adage, "allow at least one month for each week of radiation." So at least he knows his recovery pace is perfectly normal. And he's luckier than some -already back to work, eating a few foods by mouth - but I know it doesn't seem like nearly enough to him.

But today, for this moment, we're cancer free - YAY!
Posted By: linroth Re: First post tx follow up today - 11-05-2006 09:37 PM
Great news!! Like I said in one other post. "Good news for one us, is good news for all of us". Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: MikeG Re: First post tx follow up today - 11-06-2006 09:13 PM
That is great news Deb, I am happy for you both. It is unsettling to not be "doing something". The fight during treatment keeps you so busy just going back and forth and dealing with it all for so many weeks and then, Boom! nothing to do.
I am glad to hear your husband is back at work. Mike is going to go back to work next week. I think it will help. I suppose we'll all need to remember that the fight now consists of healing, and getting adjusted to our new normal. Best wishes to you.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum