Posted By: LisaB Guaifenesin - 09-28-2006 02:29 PM
Hi has anyone used this for phlegm and does it help?

What form do you use it in? ie; cough syrup or tablets. Prescription or from health store?

I read about it here in a post by Gail (can't find it now); anyhow did some Googling online too. Looking for personal experiences with it.

Thanks
Lisa
Posted By: for2or6 Re: Guaifenesin - 09-28-2006 03:21 PM
Lisa,

Hi - I know that you can find Guaifenesin in the medication Mucinex but it comes in a very large pill and cannot be crushed or cut because it is time-released. For that reason, I've not been able to take it because I can't swallow the large pill. Guaifenesin is available in cough syrup and I was taking that for a while and it does help to thin the secretions. I am over 2 years out from treatment and the phlegm generally doesn't bother me, but lately my fall allergies have brought some of it back. I was looking at Wal-Mart the other day to find something I could take and found a product called Mucus Relief - it doesn't appear to have any other name but is manufactured by LNK International,Inc. It is 400 mg Guaifenesin and is an immediate release product and can be cut or crushed. It does not say it is the Walmart brand "Equate" - the bottle just says Mucus Relief. It works well for me to thin the secretions out and most importantly, I can cut it into sizes I can swallow. Hope this helps someone

Pam
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum