Posted By: VickieM Lock Jaw - 09-27-2006 09:28 AM
Has anyone else experienced this? Two years after radiation & chemo, my father has these jaw spasms, he calls lock jaw. Immense pain that comes and goes, he cannot move his jaw until it subsides?

VickieM
Posted By: Carol L Re: Lock Jaw - 09-27-2006 01:15 PM
Hi Vickie, I have experienced the lock jaw thing, it can be extremely painful, but fortunately it does not last long, at least not so far with mine....God Bless, Carol
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Lock Jaw - 09-27-2006 04:00 PM
Severe muscle spasms. Massaging them is all I can do. I had this happen last week in the middle of a lecture... took about 30 seconds to get things back to normal. It has gotten progressively worse the further I get out from treatment. Docs say that it is a combination of the scar tissue in the muscles from radiation and nerve damage also from the same source.
Posted By: Gary Re: Lock Jaw - 09-28-2006 01:20 AM
Happens to me too but with no particular regularity. I have Valium and codiene for it but haven't taken the codiene yet. Sometimes it'll "pingpong" from one side of my neck to the other. Hurts like heck to have it massaged and my wife is a certifed massage therapist. My RO warned me of the same thing as Brian - even before radiation. Sometimes it feels just like a charlie horse.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum