Posted By: Vin It May Be Back! - 09-10-2006 09:57 PM
My wife was diagnosed with SCC left lateral tongue in Jan 05. This was followed with partial glossectomy and MRND and radiation and chemo which ended in July 05. Last CT in May 06 was clear. Last visits with dentist and RO in Aug 06 both clear.

For the last week she has been complaining of pain in the tongue and that the underside of the tongue at the original tumor location looked blistery and now there is a sore there.

We have appointments with the dentist and ENT this week and we are paraying for good news. It had taken over a year to get to the point where she was finally feeling better and now we are facing the possibility of a recurrence. We are very concerned.
Posted By: Stoj Re: It May Be Back! - 09-10-2006 10:05 PM
I'll pray that you have good news this week.
Posted By: Nelie Re: It May Be Back! - 09-11-2006 12:15 PM
Vin, You'll be in my thoughts for good news. Remember it's not cancer until a doctor tells you that for sure it is. How is your wife doing with her swallowing? Better I hope.

Nelie
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: It May Be Back! - 09-11-2006 12:21 PM
Hi Vin,

I know the feeling you are going through. I am in the same situation. I did see my surgeon and I am taking some meds to help with the sore. If it does not clear, then he will go in and remove to be on the safe side of things.

Now this does not mean I have a recurrence, just a sore at this time. We are more prone to sores due to dry mouth. Like Gary says "it not cancer till they say it is" (Gary is one of the guys on the forum)

I will be thinking of you both and I will pray for good news... OK?
take care
Diane
Posted By: Vin Re: It May Be Back! - 09-14-2006 07:06 PM
Thank you to all for responding.

We saw the ENT and he felt that the sore was due to biting of the tongue a night due to dry mouth. The sore is soft and Dr does not feel is cancerous. So we are relieved.

Again, thank for you responses and support.
Posted By: JAM Re: It May Be Back! - 09-14-2006 09:23 PM
Vin, I'm glad to hear your good news.
Are you taking care of yourself? Amy
Posted By: Nelie Re: It May Be Back! - 09-14-2006 11:03 PM
That is very good news, Vin. I have small sores on my tongue on and off from eactly what your ENT said. If I am too sound asleep to wake up a couple of times at night and swallow some water and gargle, my tongue can get sandpaper-dry and swollen and when it brushes against my teeth it get irritated.

Nelie
Posted By: Joanna Re: It May Be Back! - 09-14-2006 11:36 PM
Vin, I had the same problem and the ENT was always initially alarmed when I showed up for a scheduled check up with lesions on my tongue. Because one side of my tongue and surrounding tissue is partially numb, I wasn't aware I was doing this. Using a Breath-Right nasal strip keeps my mouth closed at night. This might work for your wife. I add my congratulations that it all worked out so well. If only we knew when worry was warranted, we could save ourselves a lot of trouble!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum