Posted By: AngAk When did you have your first post tx CT scan? - 07-11-2006 08:04 PM
Was wondering what the "norm" is for the date of the first post tx CT scans? We are coming up on 3 months since the last radiation tx, and the oncologist ordered a CT scan at the 3 month mark. Our ENT thinks it is too soon. DH meets with radiologist today to get his opinion. Surgeon down in Seattle thinks 3 months is a good time for the first CT scan. I am so worried that it is too soon and something "hot" will show up and we will be upset by the results for maybe no reason. I know all treatments are somewhat different, so I am just asking for an informal poll of your experience to see if 3 months is a reasonable time. Thanks.
Posted By: JAM Re: When did you have your first post tx CT scan? - 07-11-2006 08:09 PM
John's 1st CT scan was 3 mo. after rad. tx. ended. It came back all clear. Amy
From what I've read and heard from our doctors at Dana Faber 3 months post TX is the standard for most of the top CC's although I had heard that this may change to a lomger period of time after TX to lessen the amount of false positives. Strangely enough our doctor told us the 3 months but we actually have scans booked for next week and it will only be 10 and a half weeks post TX. The NP booked them and said that the doctor okayed it but my fear is the same as yours...we'll see what happens. Good Luck...
Oh and also AngAk, our husbands have the same diagnosis although, no node involvment but a T4 so that makes him stage IV as well. And they have almost the exact end of TX date...our scans are July 19th. How is your husband doing at this point?
I had my first scan 6 weks after finishing radiation because my otolaryngologist wanted to weigh options regarding a neck dissection. I am lucky because I am allergic to IVP contrast so only a PET scan works for me. The area around my lymph nodes that received the most radiation lit up and the doc was more dilligent in that area on exam and told me there was some area of concern. I saw the PET scan (I get copies on CD) and it was alarming when I looked at but everything has resolved as of the last 5 PET scans. WHEW!

Ed
My treatment was surgical, no radiation and I have annual CT scans.

Lisa
Sorry guys, didn't mean to post twice.
My husband had first post-treatment CT scan at 3 months as well. And, yes, they did find areas of concern (on lungs) that had resolved by another CT scan 3 months later.

Anita
Posted By: AngAk Re: When did you have your first post tx CT scan? - 07-12-2006 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. We'll just see what happens.
My son has finished his radiation/chemo treatments as of 6-5-06. He seems to be doing so well - good attitude, was eating solids week and l/2 after rad., back to work for 3 weeks. Nodule on neck has gone down tremendously but still a little there, much softer. He is going to ENT next week and I was surprised to see the folks saying their scans were scheduled 3 mo. after rad. I "thought" we were told they would be after rad. finished. (which could mean 3 mo., I guess) After reading above, I think I would question anything sooner than that. You sure hate to question very experienced doctor, but hey, just another number rolling through so as stated many times, keep them on their toes.

What is Tx? We (son, husband, me) were sooo much against surgery at the start. But after reading these experiences (80 nodes removed; one
had cancer - etc.) I have changed my mind and feel like now is the hour - we need to be as sure as sure can be we've got it all. Many thanks to you brave people for sharing your stories. Collie
My son has finished his radiation/chemo treatments as of 6-5-06. He seems to be doing so well - good attitude, was eating solids week and l/2 after rad., back to work for 3 weeks. Nodule on neck has gone down tremendously but still a little there, much softer. He is going to ENT next week and I was surprised to see the folks saying their scans were scheduled 3 mo. after rad. I "thought" we were told they would be after rad. finished. (which could mean 3 mo., I guess) After reading above, I think I would question anything sooner than that. You sure hate to question very experienced doctor, but hey, just another number rolling through so as stated many times, keep them on their toes.

What is Tx? We (son, husband, me) were sooo much against surgery at the start. But after reading these experiences (80 nodes removed; one
had cancer - etc.) I have changed my mind and feel like now is the hour - we need to be as sure as sure can be we've got it all. Many thanks to you brave people for sharing your stories. Collie
Had my 1st ctscan about 6 weeks after last treatment.

The 'lump' in my throat had gone way, way down but, there was still something there.

Scheduled for neck dissection tomorrow (about 7 weeks after last rad/chemo treatments). Dr will be doing biopsys while I'm on the table to see if there is anything else to be concerned about on base of tongue.
Good luck tommorrow Gary. Try to get a good nights sleep and let us know...

God Bless
Kerry
Posted By: AngAk Re: When did you have your first post tx CT scan? - 07-12-2006 09:38 PM
Collie, TX is treatment. And good luck Gary, we will all be thinking of you.
CT scan was also scheduled for me at three months after completing chemo-radiation. Everything was clear already.

Karen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum