Posted By: Cindywi sunblocks and vitamin E - 06-05-2006 10:12 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations on the best sunblocks for after treatment? Most seem to contain vitamin E, is this something to avoid after treatment,we were told to avoid it during radiation. I am wondering if this is absorbed through the skin if it is in the sunblock. Thanks
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: sunblocks and vitamin E - 06-05-2006 11:53 PM
Antioxidants AFTER treatment are OK. And cetainly the levels that are going to be in what is essentially skin care product are minimal.
Posted By: Gary Re: sunblocks and vitamin E - 06-05-2006 11:54 PM
spf 30-45 is best and every day - even when it's raining outside. I am sure that some of it is absorbed through the skin but they're more worried about megadoses of Vitamin E taken orally.
Posted By: Gail Mac Re: sunblocks and vitamin E - 06-06-2006 08:50 AM
Apparently vitamin E (oil) on the skin is OK -- we asked about this (it helps with skin irritation) and no-one at Hopkins thought it would have any negative effect at all, as so little would be absorbed.

There have been some recent papers questioning the "standard operating procedure" of not taking antioxidants during treatment so the last word has not been said on that subject. However, in the interests of erring on the side of caution (there is a lot at stake!), you should stop oral antioxidants and resume after treatment is over.

Interestingly enough, the commercial liquid formulae many HNC patients use (Nutren, Boost, etc.) contain quite a bit of E and C (and other antioxidants) and I calculated once that using 5-6 cans a day would give one as much of these vitamins as most multivitamin tablets.

Gail
Posted By: Amy M. Re: sunblocks and vitamin E - 06-06-2006 11:27 AM
Speaking of sunblock - my doctor told me to use it on my scar from the neck dissection every day and that it would really help it fade away. I know another lady who had thyroid surgery with my same surgical group and they told her the same thing and hers is invisible. Does anyone know why sunscreen helps scars to fade? (He also of course told me to always use suncreen on the area when in the sun.)
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum