Posted By: ChrisS 10 months out and still can't eat or drink - 03-18-2006 12:47 PM
I was able to drink soup & tea and eat icecream up until about a month ago. Video fluoroscopy showed that my swalling was good but eaating any solids causd large amounts of mucus in my throat which clogged it. Now I can't even drink a little tea without throat getting clogged with mucus. Any ideas?
Welcome to the club Chris. It is my understanding that most people reacquire the ability to eat and drink pretty much normally.
But, however, there are some who cannot, like you and I ,whether it be Mucocitus or Dysphagia, never reaquire that ability.
Even though I am back in treatment (Chemo) I wasn't able to swallow due to both mucocitus and dysphagia before my recurrence.
Darrell
In addition, you might try TUSSIN expectorant 4 times daily. I helps to thin the mucus.
Darrell
Gargle, rinse & spit with club soda, aka carbonated water. It's a little uncomfortable from the carbonation, but it works pretty well. I went through a few cases of 12 oz cans. It isn't a drug & there are no side effects. I had tried a lot of different tussin based brands, but did not care for them. I think it was because you have to swallow it & I was pretty nauseated from the mucus to begin with. Different things work for everybody. Erik
Eric:
I'll try the club soda thing.....Thanks
Darrell
I'll second the club soda method. I used the small bottles, thus keeping it from going flat too quickly. It cuts the gunk very well.
Posted By: jennie Re: 10 months out and still can't eat or drink - 03-25-2006 02:45 PM
If you have a Peg you can put the tussin right through it and never have to taste it or feel the burn!!
Jennie
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: 10 months out and still can't eat or drink - 04-10-2006 12:57 PM
Try mixing some Baking Soda & salt in warm water.

It helped me with that thick mucus. You can swallow a little bit of it too it will help clear the throat.

I hope you are doing better now. It is so upsetting to run into these types of problems.

DM
Posted By: helen.c Re: 10 months out and still can't eat or drink - 04-10-2006 06:15 PM
Hi
Just a point about the last post, it may work well for swishing the mouth out, but please be careful about swallowing, it could increase your salt intake above normal.
Sunshine..love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: 10 months out and still can't eat or drink - 04-13-2006 11:40 AM
Helen,

Thanks, did not think about the salt intake. I used just a small amount.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum