Posted By: Uptown I just want to chew! - 02-03-2006 08:00 PM
It seems like it has been quite a battle for the past two years to address the teeth that were removed, the remaining teeth breaking, the tough job of trying to chew without biting my tongue and the gaping holes in the back where the chewing teeth used to be. I finally see some opportunities unfold in front of me and now they say no way for implants because of the amount of radiation I received (from the same oral surgeon that has been writing letters for me to the insurance bozos).

I know this sounds so petty but I just had to vent (to my friends, of course).

Ed
Posted By: Lisa's Living in Paradise Re: I just want to chew! - 02-03-2006 08:18 PM
Ed,

Go ahead and vent! I remember crying in the dentist office because what I thought was going to be a filling turned into a root canal and crown 3 months after surgery. I was so fed up with people screwing with my mouth!

I am sorry you are having this difficulty, my friend. Are you headed for a gleaming new set of choppers a la denture?

Beak Them!

Sincerely,
Lisa
Posted By: Nelie Re: I just want to chew! - 02-03-2006 10:39 PM
You just want to chew, I just want to *swallow*--I am still having major problems with anything but liquids and there are days I choke on the liquids too! The aftereffects of oral radiation can really get you down sometimes.....sorry you were told no implants.

Nelie
Posted By: Joanna Re: I just want to chew! - 02-04-2006 12:52 AM
Ed, my jaw was radiated six ways from Sunday and I have some dandy implants. Getting them involved hyperbaric therapy, but they are firmly planted and chew very well. I would suggest a second or third opinion. If I can have them, I think just about anyone can. The guy who did them is an ENT/DDS and his middle name is Arrogance, but he does good work. He used to be at M.D. Anderson, and I will be seeing him on the 13th if you want me to ask him for a TX referral. Lower implants and an upper denture are not like real teeth, but they are so very close that I will never complain. Let me know if I can help.
Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw Re: I just want to chew! - 02-04-2006 04:14 PM
Mybe my financial ship will arrive and I can afford the implants. Currently the VA dentists are struggling to save my remaining 10 teeth. They won't even discuss the possibility of implants or any prosthetic devices due to lack of saliva.
Darrell
Posted By: Cat Re: I just want to chew! - 02-08-2006 11:07 PM
Hi Darrell, I was in the same boat. I had 12 root
canels and finally had the bottom teeth pulled.
the top teeth are doing fine. I understand the
chewing part. I eat baby food and sweet potatoes,
Ice cream, and bake potatoes and mashed potatoes.
I get frustrated when I see my family eat stake,
and so on it doesn't seem right but at least
I'm alive. I do try and chew once in a while
fruit, and maybe a doghnut but not much.
Cathy
Posted By: Carol L Re: I just want to chew! - 02-09-2006 10:55 AM
Hi, I had my six top teeth replaced yesterday with 6 crowns. Insurance does not cover any of it but it had to get done, very expensive! My teeth under 4 top veneers (veneers done pre-cancer)were very decayed, etc. The temp crowns look very nice I go back for real ones in two more treatments. I am still afraid to bite into anything and always take small pieces and chew on the right side (flap on left) and it has been over 3 years since surgery and radiation. My two cents worth. If any others have had crowns put in top front, let me know how they have held up. Thanks, Carol
Posted By: Eileen Re: I just want to chew! - 02-09-2006 02:51 PM
Hi Ed,
They only left me with 12 teeth, 6 upper and lower. I have an upper and lower partial that snap into place. I showed this to Susan when we were in Vegas. They capped my 4 eye teeth and put a ball and joint device on them whic used to anchor the partial in place. Works very well. Don't remember name of it, but can look it up if you need me to.

Carol,
As I mentioned above, my four eye teeth were capped in 1998. No problems. My remaining 4 uppers were capped last April. No problems yet. My remaining lower 4 will be capped this year. Hubby, Charles, had just about every tooth in his mouth capped 4 years ago and he has had nor problems. As to chewing, neither of us have had any problems. I had my temps for over a year due to problems with getting the permanent ones exactly the way I wanted them. I had one fall off, natually while on vacation, but just went to dentist to have it reglued. So you should be able to chew away unless doc said otherwise.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Carol L Re: I just want to chew! - 02-10-2006 11:20 AM
Thank You Eileen for your response. I bought a tube of fix o dent yesterday just in case one of the temps fall out, SMILE! Carol
Posted By: Uptown Re: I just want to chew! - 02-10-2006 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the responses and of course, the support. I feel like such a whiney baby frown when I see what many have gone through. I am surely one of the luckier unlucky ones.

Eileen, I will have to ask Susan if she remembers since I only remember the $200+ quarters laugh .

Joanna, I am intested to hear who your Mr. Arrogance would suggest in Dallas. An oral surgeon Susan worked for has been involved in some type of fellowship at MD Anderson and he has been trying to help. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks again to all of you.

Ed
Posted By: Eileen Re: I just want to chew! - 02-10-2006 10:50 PM
Hi Ed,
I just looked up the device part that is the attachment. The last time I bought one, it was from Attachments Int. in CA. The part is a ACS 52 Anterior. If you need more info, email me. My prosthodontist has said if he were making my partials now, he would use something different. I think they have some better devices these days.

You are so close to MD Anderson, can't they give you a referral to a prosthodontist that can help you? Partials are not cheap, but a lot cheaper than implants, especially if insurance will not pay for hyperbaric oxygen like mine.

Let me know if you need any more info. Say hello to Susan from Charlie and me.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Cat Re: I just want to chew! - 03-08-2006 07:33 PM
HI again Ed. I forgot to tell you. I had my gallbladder taken out too. So can't have any
chocolate, or cheese UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do understand.
Cathy :rolleyes:
Posted By: Eileen Re: I just want to chew! - 03-09-2006 02:41 PM
Hi Ed,
Have you made any progress on finding someone to make you partials? You need a maxillofacial prosthodontist, preferably one that is used to dealing with eradiated gums. Have you tried calling MD Anderson for a recommendation in your area? What's the 'hang up' that makes your case so difficult? Let me know how your search is going.

Take care,
Eileen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum