Posted By: Marica Major Neck Cramps - 11-16-2005 08:35 PM
Hi All,
Pete is having a hard time with cramps in the back of his neck so severe they are nearly putting him to the floor.
This is not good for someone who drives hundreds of miles a week over 7 states, I realise this might be part of the problem.

Has anyone else has this severity of cramping?

What would be your reccomendations?

I would appreciate you thoughts.
Thanks
Marica
Posted By: JAM Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-16-2005 10:13 PM
Marica, last year for Christmas a friend gave John a seat cover for his car that heats and massages. I think they got it at Walmart. If Pete is driving long hrs. and getting tense or stiff, something like this might give him some relief. Amy
Posted By: CKE Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-17-2005 12:05 PM
Marica
I get cramps in the dissection area of my neck. Things tend to tightnen up every once in a while. They have offered muscle relaxants but I am trying to stay away from meds for awhile. I notice when I yawn the most. He could ask about the relaxants...though he should not be driving then. What about message therapy???
Posted By: minniea Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-17-2005 02:05 PM
I can totally relate to the cramping of the neck muscles while yawning. It's gotten so I almost dread yawning now, it can be painful! My neck has gotten stiffer in the area of my neck disection, someone told me it's called scarring down. Anyone know of any treatments to loosen it back up?
Posted By: Kris Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-17-2005 03:19 PM
I go to PT every 6 months for a tune up to loosen up my neck muscles. They also sent me home 1 year ago with a half round tube of stiff foam about 3 feet long that I lay on and do exersizes to straighten out my back, neck and shoulders. This keeps me from slowing hunching forward. Although the excercise at first was very painfall I have noticed I'm getting quite good at them and they help immensely. When I drive I find relief by putting one of those soft neck pillows around my neck to support it. Without it I can only drive for an hour without pain. With it I'm good for a half day trip or long plane flight. You can also microwave them for a little heat.- Kris
Posted By: Cathy G Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-17-2005 06:29 PM
I also find that I need those neck pillows when I'm traveling, or sometimes just when I'm sitting for awhile at home. For sleeping I definitely need sturdy neck support as well -- I've worked out something with a memory foam pillow (that fits under my neck) on top of a regular pillow.

My MO has done scans of my neck a couple of times in the past few years and said there is some arthritis there that he believes is due at least in part to the after-effects of radiation.

Cathy
Posted By: ChuckF Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-17-2005 09:06 PM
Marica,
I can totally relate to the neck cramps. I'm now 21 months post treatment, and I am still getting fairly frequent severe muscle spasms at the base of my skull. They seem to be triggered by certain positions. If I look down or over my shoulder in either direction, it will trigger a spasm, and Pete is right, they'll knock you to your knees.
The last time I saw my ENT, she offered a prescription which would increase circulation, but I opted to try to work it out with PT instead. Unfortunately I didn't write down the name of the drug she was talking about. I see her again in a couple of weeks, and I'll ask again. She said it's likely yet another manifestation of the poor circulation in the irradiated areas.
I have seen some limited improvement with stretching and strengthening exercises, but it's still pretty frustrating.
I'm sorry I can't offer much more than I have. I hope the info helps.

Good Health

Chuck
Posted By: Cath Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-17-2005 09:29 PM
HI all, I too use a neck pillow. I had that problem in the begining usually at work when I
was shelving since I worked in a Library. I use
a neck pillow everynight now and love. I've gone
threw my third pillow. They are wonderful.
Cathy
Posted By: Marica Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-17-2005 10:40 PM
Thanks guys
I appreciate the input and I will put forth each and every suggestion.
I think I see a massaging driving seat in his Christmas stocking!
Do any of you still have vertigo?

Take Care
Marica
Posted By: Erik Kleiva Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-18-2005 01:26 AM
Stretching & massage & excersize. Just do it! Erik
Posted By: Eileen Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-18-2005 02:06 PM
I would also try putting a pillow or something under the arm from the elbow to the wrist for the arm to rest on while he is driving. The idea is to elevate the arm to it's natural height, like having arms on a chair, so there is no downward drag on the shoulder muscles. I couldn't drive or ride without one for the first 6 months.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Tom J Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-20-2005 12:19 AM
Marcia - The neck pillows are great. My wife made me one filled with rice. The microwave warms it up and it stays for quite a while. Stretch your neck every day, slowly and in every direction. Exercise your jaw. Those muscles will be ticked off for quite a while, so take good care of them!! (Hey, in the old west, stretching somebody's neck was BAD!!) Tom
Posted By: Robr Re: Major Neck Cramps - 11-21-2005 06:12 PM
Hi,

I get the same thing. Mostly when I am tierd.
I have found that excersizing the neck helps a little.
But man, I know what he is talking about. Sometimes I get one in the back of my neck that puts me right out on the floor.
It then hurts for a couple of days.

Good things,
-rh
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum