Posted By: Mary1971 Hair Loss??? - 06-19-2005 09:59 PM
Hi again, Like I stated before I have so many ??'s. I started losing my hair after treatment. Doctors could not tell me why other than maybe the lack of nutrition for so many months.Thyroid fx was normal. I was pregnant at the time of 70 radiation tx and alot of people tell me that the hormones of pregnancy caused it. I am having trouble digesting that because this is my 3rd pregnancy.

Anyone???
Thanks,
Mary
Posted By: ZendaT Re: Hair Loss??? - 06-19-2005 10:44 PM
My chemo/erbitux/radiation treatments were completed April 27, and I began losing hair about four weeks later. Only in the past few days has the loss decreased and the sensitivity in my scalp abated. No thyroid problem. I also lost hair after my second child was born. Doctors have not pinpointed the cause. My nutrition was very good throughout my cancer treatment and I did not lose weight. Wish I could be more helpful.
Posted By: Fran Re: Hair Loss??? - 06-20-2005 12:48 AM
I comleted my chemo and radiation on Jan.3, 2005 and I am still loosing my hair. Still wearing a wig full time since January. Never lost all my hair just at the nap of my neck.
We all know this is not the worst thing in life
I had a tumor on my vocal cord and still waiting for my voice to return 100%. I also know it might not be 100% in the future. But I have life.
Posted By: Cathy G Re: Hair Loss??? - 06-20-2005 08:00 AM
Mary,

I thought you indicated in your earlier posts that you did not have chemo, so I'm guessing there's some other cause, such as nutritional deficiencies. Radiation tends to cause hair to fall out only in the specific area that is radiated.

Cathy
Posted By: Mark Re: Hair Loss??? - 06-20-2005 11:38 AM
Mary, I found this site that has information you might use. Notably stress a possible cause jumps out at me.

American Academy of Family Physicians. Hair
Posted By: ZendaT Re: Hair Loss??? - 06-20-2005 03:04 PM
Mark,
Thanks for the helpful site! I'm sure Mary will find it informational as well.
Posted By: Mary1971 Re: Hair Loss??? - 06-20-2005 09:39 PM
Cathy, you are right! I did not have chemo just the 70 rad. tx. So I am at a loss of why I am losing hair. The hair loss has subsided and new hair is growing back. The doctors aren't very concerned but it is my vanity that is suffering.
Thanks to all for the replies and the website.
Mary
Posted By: gillijl Re: Hair Loss??? - 06-21-2005 05:20 AM
Mary,

I also saw this site:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=A1678D65-8474-4028-85679F53CFE96FD5

It discusses hair loss during radiation. I hope it provides some useful information.

Jennifer
Posted By: Gary Re: Hair Loss??? - 06-21-2005 06:31 AM
I have shaved my head for years anyway so when they warned me about hair loss I kind of laughed that one off. Different chemos cause different amounts of hair loss (some cause none) and it is usually temporary. The hair will grow back, mainly with possibly a slightly different texture.

The hair follicles in the radiation field itself, however, were another matter. I no longer have to shave my neck, except for a few silly hairs scattered hear anfd there, the rad basically killed the hair follicles (and that was 360 degress I might add)

H&N radiation is also a great cure for snoring I might add.
Posted By: Mary1971 Re: Hair Loss??? - 06-21-2005 08:16 AM
So funny you should mention snoring. My husband said I never snored until the radiation!

I was told by the doctors I would not have to be concerned with hair loss. It's amazing the different opinions given by docs.

Thanks for those websites!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum