Posted By: JOHNE Eating with Full Dentures ? - 06-13-2004 01:40 PM
Hi folks,
I made it through Squamus Cell Carcenoma of a lymph gland in the neck this past year(Stage 1/2
with no primary found.) After a series of operations, including a radical neck dissection,
my ENT sent me to the Radiation Oncologist for 6 weeks therapy who in turn sent me to a dentist who recommended I have all my teeth removed prior to the radiation. After considering 3 opinions I went for the total removal due to a fear of O.R.N. by everyone consulted. The general
attitude of the whole group was positive for being able to eat almost normally when full dentures were fitted after the radiation and a
2 month waiting period. Now it's 6 months later,
after 3 bone removal procedures I have full dentures and their useless for normal eating.
I'm told I'll get used to them. I doubt it! The lower
denture is the worst for fit and both are very
uncomfortable. My dentist says he can adjust for
sore spots as we go but this is about it for results. To me, It seems as though I'm condemned
to mush for the rest of my life.

If anybody has some input on using dentures I'd
appreciate the info. Right now I'm very
disappointed and depressed since I was hoping for solid food meals to make it easier to gain some of my weight loss back.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Eating with Full Dentures ? - 06-14-2004 09:39 AM
John,

Welcome! I am sorry you have had so much to deal with. I don't have any experience with dentures other than seeing my mother struggle with them for many years until she found the right dentist that adjusted everything to end her problems. I hope someone else can shed more light and you don't have to wait as long as she did.

I just wanted to welcome you more than anything.

Ed
Posted By: KarenC Re: Eating with Full Dentures ? - 06-15-2004 04:42 PM
Hi John,
It is a very depressing time indeed when you are told one thing and it doesn't seem to be working. Although you are still in early stages when it comes to healing. My mother-in-law is over a year since her dissection and she had a mandiblectomy as well. As a result her dentures were remade, but she can't use her lower one, her tongue, which she has little control over keeps pushing them out. She too finds the prospect of only ever eating mush very depressing but she is still happy to be here! Hang in there, it can only get better.
Karen
Posted By: JOHNE Re: Eating with Full Dentures ? - 06-16-2004 07:22 PM
Uptown,

Thanks for the welcome and the moral
support. I guess I'll just have to shop
the block until I get some results.

John
Posted By: JOHNE Re: Eating with Full Dentures ? - 06-16-2004 07:35 PM
Karen C,

Of course, it's better to be here
eating mush and complaining than the
alternatives and I'm happy for that.
I have heard that it takes time to
get used to eating with dentures and
as the bone conformes to the denture
the fit improves. We'll see... At this
point optimism is all I have.
Thank's for the support.
John
Posted By: Eileen Re: Eating with Full Dentures ? - 06-17-2004 02:10 PM
John,

Is your prosthodontist used to working with cancer patients? Dentures that do not fit do not sound like they were made properly. I had all 16 of my rear teeeth removed and wear two partials made by a marvelous prosthodontist in Princeton, NJ, who specializes in complicated cancer patient cases. I will email you his name and number.

Take care,
Eileen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum