Posted By: Carol L Problems with Trach Scar - 06-04-2004 11:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a question, it has been two years since I had surgery and a trach. A few months ago a wound appeared on the right side of trach scar, doctor's immediately cut and biopsied it, came back negative for c. It won't heal, so I am having surgery next Friday so they can look into it further. Doc has suggested possible stitch left over from surgery coming thru, any ideas? Thanks, Carol
Posted By: Carol in RH Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-10-2004 11:48 AM
Carol - how did this turn out? My sister suddenly had a wound open up on her throat - not at the trach scar site - but above that. Thought it might be due to the radiation but they haven't figured it out yet but there is stuff draining out of it. Oncologist thought maybe is was the cancer so did another CT scan yesterday but that came back with nothing ominous showing - now he is thinking an infection of some sort.
Posted By: Carol L Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-10-2004 01:35 PM
Hi Carol, thanks so much for your reply. I go into hospital tomorrow for surgery on it, he will look deeper into it try to find the cause, hoping it is just scar tissue, etc...Thanks Again, Carol
(I like your name) SMILE!!!!!!!p.s. I have twins, a boy and girl (Steve and Rachel)aged 17....it gets interesting in the teen age years I will say that!I will continue to pray for Cathy and you!
Posted By: rosie Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-12-2004 11:36 PM
Hi Carol & Carol!

It sounds like you may be dealing with a fistula, although I don't know why one would develop 2 years after surgery, Carol L. It does sound like Cathy's could be a fistula though. Heather also had a partial glossectomy and a fistula developed from the incision in the floor of her mouth. There was also an infection present which caused some of the drainage. But some of it was just saliva draining. Fistulas sometimes are no big deal. Other times they can be a real pain in the ___ and can also be indicative of another problem.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie
Posted By: Carol L Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-13-2004 06:11 PM
Hi Rosie, I had the surgery for the trach scar problem Friday, they found stitches left in there that became infected over time....Hoping they got everything this time.....Thanks so much, Carol L.
Posted By: minniea Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-13-2004 11:06 PM
Hi Carol,
I'm happy they found stitches and nothing more. Love, Minnie
Posted By: rosie Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-13-2004 11:17 PM
Carol,

I'm so glad that's all it was. Hoping Cathy's story has a happy ending, too.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie
Posted By: Carol L Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-14-2004 09:24 AM
Thanks Minnie and Rosie!!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxo Carol
Posted By: Uptown Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-14-2004 09:35 AM
Hi Carol(L),

I am really excited to hear your good news! Nothing like a dose of good news on a Friday, huh?

Ed smile
Posted By: Carol L Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-14-2004 10:44 AM
Thanks Ed, it was a relief, I can tell you that!!! SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Lynn Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-14-2004 09:18 PM
Carol,

I'm so happy it was nothing more serious. It's amazing how a foreign body can send your whole body into a tail spin. Great news!

Lynn
Posted By: Carol in RH Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-14-2004 10:54 PM
Carol L - funny how a stitch can cause such problems. Cathy's appears to be closing up and the drainage has stopped - they were giving her antibiotics. As for our names - my last name starts with "L" so I'm Carol L too but you already had taken the name so I couldn't register with it!
Posted By: Uptown Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-15-2004 12:26 AM
If I had to say Carol L twice, my tongue won't do that. Try it...
laugh

Ed
Posted By: Carol L Re: Problems with Trach Scar - 06-15-2004 10:18 AM
You are funny, Ed!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum