Posted By: Lynn Eating - 04-29-2004 03:37 PM
Anyone else have to use massive amounts of water to swallow? It usually takes me about 3 glasses to get one scrambled egg down. By then I'm waterlogged. Water even taste metalic to me now. I finished treatment January 23rd. I thought things would be getting better by now. I was doing very well before radiation and now I can't swallow very much before I start gagging. Things feel like they are getting stuck. Anyone had to have their esophagus dialated?

Lynn
Posted By: larry-b Re: Eating - 04-29-2004 06:56 PM
hi Lynn,

water is good... but i like dairy products, espcially milk. the fat seems to help things slide down easier... for awhile i was drinking a couple gallons of milk each week because it helped me swallow food.. ice cream is also a must have. yogart is good to. milk shakes also work.. i had a chocolate one with my fish sandwich for lunch today. Chocolate milk if yummy. sometimes recently i have been cutting my milk 50/50 with water to cut calories.

Got milk?

cu,
larryb
Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw Re: Eating - 04-29-2004 08:59 PM
I elected for a PEG tube after six weeks of fighting to eat and get the proper nutrients required daily. Lost 40+ pounds.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Eating - 04-29-2004 10:43 PM
Send a private message to get digtexas to talk with you. He has been through the dilation process, and I just saw him in Houston. He seems to be very happy with the results and is doing great. He may not catch your posting and that is why I am suggesting you contact him personally. You can find him in the directory link at the top of the first page.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Eating - 04-29-2004 10:55 PM
I could not swallow water and spoke with several that either buy the thick water additive or thickened water. I drank 1-2 gallons of whole milk like Larry partially for the extra calories even though I do not like the taste. I am 7 months out and I still choke on water and use quite a bit to wash down drier things like pie crust and bread. I feel like there is a shelf or something about half way down that holds food or fluids until something else literally pushes it down. I can't chew ice anymore and ice cream stops at the "spot" and starts burning until I wash it down with something. I tried to get the ENT to do a dilation a while back but he was hesitant and I saw a story in the SPOHNC newsletter about someone that ruptured the pharyngeal wall and caused some other complications. I could fax the article from the March 2004 newsletter if you like.

Ed

Ed
Posted By: gls173 Re: Eating - 06-13-2004 09:08 AM
I'm not sure what I would do without my water bottle being with me at all times...especially during the course of trying to eat. I'm 7 months post radiation therapy and still have very little taste, can't eat any form of bread or spicy foods. Eating has become the worst part of my day..that and sleeping, but that's another story. Milk and milk shakes are great though...lost a total of 54 pounds and have only gained six back.
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Eating - 06-13-2004 12:22 PM
Hi Lynn,

I have trouble swallowing and each swallow is a thought out process. I drink alot of water also. Milk seems to help and I'm drinking about 4 cups of whole milk per day. I mix carnation instant breakfast in it.

Also take small bites and chew like hell!!. Soup is much easier for me to eat than solids. I'm trying to make sure I get enough nutrition daily. Don't want to lose any ground, I'm skinny enough as it is!!!
Good Luck with your problem, Please post after you talk to Danny G.

Sincerly, Danny Boy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum