Posted By: Wynter Can't get anything but liquid down - 09-03-2016 01:10 AM
Finished rads for my tongue cancer and lymph nodes Wednesday, and I'm sure glad that's behind me. Up until about a week ago I was able to eat cream soups (with solids blended well) and Boost/Ensure, and the best was egg drop soup from my favorite Chinese restaurant. Then I started coughing from what felt like dry spots in my throat, which often led to gagging, and then sometimes dry heaves or throwing up what little was there. Then I couldn't get anything thickish down at all without gagging.

Now the thought of anything thick makes me ill. I am drinking plenty of water with Juven protein powder, and have been able to get down chicken broth and keep it down. The coughing and gagging are better today, and I so hope that in the next day or 2, I won't get sick just thinking of milkshakes, Boost, and cream soup. Any suggestions?
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Can't get anything but liquid down - 09-03-2016 07:40 PM
Have you talked to you medical team and your dietitian about your problems with swallowing? What did they suggest? Perhaps what is more pertinent is are you losing weight or how much weight have you lost from the beginning of treatment to now?

If the situation is worrisome, your medical team may be able to fit you with a nasal tube (NG) tube for feeding for now. A nurse can insert the tube and when you don't need it, you can even pull it out yourself. This is a temporary measure to ensure that you get enough nutrition while your swallowing slowly improves.

Do you keep track of how many calories you are taking in each day? If you throw it up, then it is not counted.

I'm afraid the swallowing difficulties will take a bit of time to resolve. Unfortunately, it is has quite a bit of impact on your quality of life. Hang in there, it will get better with time.
Posted By: SoCal Re: Can't get anything but liquid down - 09-05-2016 04:42 PM
Sounds like the same exact symptoms I have, and I have 3 more RADS left to do. Extremely dry mouth, Boost/Ensure or smoothies are my main delicacy, up until last week Egg Drop soup was even a good option, along with other soups.

Now everything tastes terrible, but I am able to force very soft foods down, but even after Magic Mouthwash it hurts and is sore. Even a few mouth sores I am trying to figure out how to deal with.

My premise for forcing anything possible down past the pain is that I "Do Not" want a feeding tube, which is more of a pain than it was worth when I had one in the hospital.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Can't get anything but liquid down - 09-05-2016 08:27 PM
There is a feeding tube made for those who only need it for a short time. Its the nasal tube which can get inserted right in the doctors office and its easily removed too. Many patients have gone that route when they are nearing the end of their rads and unable to eat and drink.

Another tip is to pay attention to the calories in everything taken in. Go for think=gs that carry the most calories. For example half and half is loaded with calories where regular 1% or 2& milk isnt. Boost very high calorie (VHC) nutritional drink is 530 calories per 8 oz which helps to make it where a patient only needs 5 per day instead of 8 of the lower calorie boost or ensure. Many pharmacies and department stores dont carry the VHC but it can easily be ordered thru Amazon by using the link we have on any page. Just click on the Amazon box near the upper right of the page and place your order. That one small step helps to give OCF a small kickback. It might not be much but over a months time they all add up to being a big help for our small nonprofit organization.

(All measurements are estimates)

Giant High Calorie Choc-Peanut Butter Milkshake (1200++ calories per shake depending on how big you measure the ingredients)

3 or 4 cups chocolate ice cream (regular/full fat type)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth type)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 or 2 cups whole milk (can substitute half and half to add even more calories)
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast
1 scoop high protein whey powder
(check with doc if this is ok)

Blend this extra long to make it very smooth and creamy so it goes down easier. If the shake is too thick, add more milk (or half and half) to thin it down to what works best for you. The cold shake should feel soothing on your sore throat.

The above list of easy to eat foods and the calorie loaded chocolate milkshake will help you meet your daily minimum of 2500 calories. Best wishes with continuing to push yourself with eating every single day.

Easy to Eat Food List
Posted By: Timmay Re: Can't get anything but liquid down - 09-20-2016 04:23 PM
Wynter, I had the exact same problems eating after radiation at the end of June. I did the boost, but also had the chokes, nausea, dry heaves. I told my doctor about it and he gave me some anti-nausea pills which actually worked pretty well.

Between those and the mouth numbing magic mouthwash goo, I was able to start eating very soft food. I ate a lot of cheese pizza, just the soft center part, cut the crust off and gave it to my dog. I lost about 30lbs from start of radiation to a month after ending radiation. The two weeks after radiation were the worst, I was the weakest then, and couldn't eat much, I spent a lot time on the couch sleeping/watching TV and trying to eat something to keep my weight from going down any further (went from 180 down to 150, and I was 160 when I graduated high school 40 years ago!).

I didn't want the feeding tube so I forced myself to eat soups, but sometimes they would come back up a few hours later.

Today I'm almost 3 months after my last radiation treatment (June 27) and I feel pretty healthy. I'm eating most regular food, but nothing spicy as that still hurts the inside of my mouth. I have the dry mouth problems, the doctor said my salivary glands may or may not ever come back.... I'm getting tired of carrying a bottle of black tea everywhere I go!

I've managed to get a few beers in me too, to gain weight of course, and I'm up to 160 now. I'm riding my bike 40 miles a day, 4-5 days a week, I have my PET scan scheduled for October 3, hope I pass so I can go back to work!

Hang in there, it will get better but not for a few months.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum