Posted By: Jessica22 Jaw and ear pain post surgery - 10-11-2015 12:16 AM
My mom had surgery on 9/22. The surgery included mandibular resection. My mom is experiencing constant jaw and ear pain. How long is this pain supposed to last? Before the surgery her doctor said her leg would hurt more than the jaw. Her leg pain was severe initially but it seems like that pain is subsiding but the jaw and ear pain persists. Anyone experience something similar?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Jaw and ear pain post surgery - 10-11-2015 01:11 AM
Your poor mom! This type of pain is absolutely horrible. Ive been thru it too and unfortunately its completely normal for the type of surgery she went thru. Your mother is probably still pretty swollen from the surgery. This can take months to go away. The swelling could be pressing on a nerve, causing your mother pain.

Make sure your mothers pain is being managed with some type of pain meds that work for her. I used neurontin also known as gabapentin. Its for nerve pain which is what I went thru for months after the surgery. Neurontin is available in liquid form which makes putting it thru a feeding tube very easy. If your mother isnt on this type of pain meds ask her doc about trying it. For the most severe pain, the fentanyl patch is the strongest pain medication available. This could be something she would need for a few weeks or months until the pain subsides. Being in constant pain is the worst! This causes the patient unneeded stress. A pain management doctor could also be another place she could try. Hopefully your mothers pain can be effectively managed very soon so she can focus on her recovery.

Best wishes!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum