Posted By: Kate12 Week 5 of treatment and all is well - 08-19-2015 10:33 PM
My husband is doing amazing. He only has 7 radiation treatments left. Some mouth sores but manageable with meds. I've had him on constant mouth regime of various concoctions. No PEG tube and no weight loss. He's living on high calorie high protein Carnivor Mass shakes from GNC made with whole milk. Had second cisplatin dose this week with some mild nausea for 2 days. We keep waiting for it to get bad. Hope it doesn't. His second cisplatin had to be delayed a week due to low blood counts. I have a feeling they won't give the third dose. It couldn't be done until 1-2 weeks post rad. Will find out next week. Our next step is getting most of the 10 extracted teeth back. I haven't posted much but this site has been so helpful. Who ever posted about the cold neck cloth immediately post rads, it worked. I took it one step further and soaked the bandana in 99% drinkable cold aloe Vera. Sometimes with pure aloe Vera gel also. Hope this keeps on a positive track.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Week 5 of treatment and all is well - 08-20-2015 02:04 AM
Fantastic report. He is very blessed to be one of the few who gets through without getting really beat up. Hang in there - I bet he shoots out the end of treatment with barely a scratch!
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Week 5 of treatment and all is well - 08-20-2015 10:28 AM
Great to hear this report Kate. I'm sure a lot of this good ride is down to you. You sound like a marvellous Caregiver and you have things that you can control, under control.
Hope to hear more good news in the coming weeks.
Tammy
Posted By: David2 Re: Week 5 of treatment and all is well - 08-21-2015 04:01 PM
That's wonderful to read, Kate. He's on the home stretch now and you're clearly a huge part of getting him through it!
Posted By: Kate12 Officially post treatment - 08-28-2015 05:47 PM
Last radiation treatment today. He brought home his mask. He going to do something creative with it. I am hoping that in a few weeks he'll be eating real food again. The radiation oncology staff have been wonderful. He brought them flowers today, and they had him ring a celebration bell and there were hugs all around. I know it seems funny, but there is some anxiety about being cut loose and not seeing our "Rad "Pack" family every morning.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Officially post treatment - 08-28-2015 08:17 PM
Congrats on the the end of treatments!!!! Let the healing begin smile
Posted By: donfoo Re: Officially post treatment - 08-31-2015 03:34 AM
Congrats on completing treatment and starting the recovery period. I had the same feeling once treatment ended. After months of so many visits to the hospital and doctor appointments and calls and ... Then the day after you finish up treatment, it feels like it you fell off the face of the earth.

It is now your time to rest and heal up. It is going to take some time and everyone has a unique experience but generally do expect it to be pretty rough for about a month. Good luck and post here with any questions.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Officially post treatment - 08-31-2015 12:06 PM
Congratulation on completing treatment! When asked if I wanted my mask, I turned them down and just punched it, except my last mask with Proton Therapy I decided to keep it, and hopefully decorate. Well, that was 1.5 years ago, and finally just about finishing making it into Spiderman, and hate it now just as much as I did before smile since it wasn't as easy as I thought. It looks good though.

There is an organization, and is how I learned, that make radiation masks into art called, "Courage Unmasked."

http://courageunmasked.org/photo-gallery/

Good luck
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum