Posted By: marcopolo 2nd mri-lymph node 1.3 cm still oversized - 12-23-2014 04:00 AM
Hello all,
Hernia diagnosis after months of very poor digestion and cramping.
Surgery planned via family doctor
Rad onc again not agreeing that this was a result of chemo-I give up with him.
I received good mdi news but still not clear news.
My upper neck lymph node has reduced from 1.6 cm to 1.3
They would like to see it under 1, though they initially said they would like to see it under 1.5. They aren't suggesting anything other than lets continue to wait and see.
I am10 months out of treatment.
Though everything else is clear-base of tongue - I can't help but be concerned of course.
3 months another mri is ordered.Though i may be clear here I can't help but wonder if it will still keep shrinking .If not it will require surgery. Any feedback here or experience would be helpful.
Rad onc not very thorough in explaining where I am- AM i worrying too much here ?
Posted By: PaulB Re: 2nd mri-lymph node 1.3 cm still oversized - 12-23-2014 03:52 PM
I asked my radiation oncologist once how long does radiation keeps working being I had read 6 weeks, just as long as treatment lasted, he said in theory, but there is no way to prove that, but at least several weeks. Maybe they can do an FNAB to see if it is necrotic, cancerous or not. I had that done or a lymph node, and showed dead or dying cancer cells, but further testing showed it to be cancerous. Some have mixed reviews with FNAB, but all mine, around 10, were accurate, all done by a pathologist under ultrasound guidance. After that a PET scan was usually done if positive, which highlights uptake activity by the nuclear glucose injection to see of any other possible cancerous areas, then a neck dissection.

Good luck.

Posted By: tamvonk Re: 2nd mri-lymph node 1.3 cm still oversized - 12-23-2014 09:43 PM
Kris had a residual lymph node after his rads and chemo.
It lit up on his 3 month post treatment PET, so it was removed in a Modified neck dissection. Pathology showed this to just be a necrotic node with dead SCC cells.
I would be reassured that this Lymph node is declining in size.
Glad your team will continue to keep an eye on it and you.
Enjoy the Festive Season.
Tammy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum