Posted By: Kreale 3 weeks post rads - 11-15-2014 01:26 PM
My husband is 3 weeks out from (36)rad + (5) carbotax and has also just developed an ulceration and is experiencing ear pain that is similiar to what he felt at time of original diagnosis. We saw the oncology doc yesterday and he wants to see us again in 2 weeks. He wants to make sure the ulceration is not cancer.

Also has Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (Dx 2013)
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: 3 weeks post rads - 11-15-2014 02:29 PM
Kreale

The ulceration could be a side affect from treatment but since the ear pain is there I would stay on top of it. My mothers ear pain never did go away all the while she was taking Radiation treatments. As she complained of ear and jaw pain the doctor would feel along her jaw and neck area, but didn't feel any lumps. The pain was getting worse and worse so that's when a CT & MRI scan was ordered. Both showed positive.
We were thinking this has to be a false positive. The cancer cant be back so soon. So a biopsy of the area was done and sure enough it was back and more of it. This was also 3 weeks after treatment.

The doctors couldn't believe that the cancer had spread like it did while under radiation treatment. The cancer has now spread from the jaw to the cheek & neck area on my mother.

Good Luck
Heidi
Posted By: Cheryld Re: 3 weeks post rads - 11-17-2014 05:01 PM
The ear pain could be related to quite a few things. Yes they should monitor the ulcer but ulcerations are not exclusive to cancer and very common after radiation. Keep his mouth as clean as possible after eating or drinking anything more than water he should clean his mouth, hugs
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum