Posted By: KaylaCole Facial Swelling/Burning throat - 10-18-2014 04:20 AM
I finished radiation at the end of August and my face is still super swollen...It's all concentrated in my cheeks and under the chin. How long does this last?
Also, almost everything burns to swallow. Just in the very upper part of my throat. I'm sure its still just a bit raw and swollen as well, but any clue as to when I can eat tomato products again? smile
Posted By: Uptown Re: Facial Swelling/Burning throat - 10-18-2014 12:03 PM
KaylaCole, it's different for everyone. I ate spaghetti with tomato sauce from about 2 weeks after treatment. It was the only thing I ate for almost 6 weeks.
Posted By: Sandy1028 Re: Facial Swelling/Burning throat - 10-18-2014 11:26 PM
I guess it is different for everyone. I am a caregiver. I tried 4 different mixes in my Nutri Bullet today. Nothing worked. He said his throat was burning so much today. I will do anything to get him to eat. I cooked his most favorite food tonight and he just can't eat it, I need any helpful hints at this point. We finished week 2 of rad/chemo. This is the first really bad day, and we have 5 more weeks to go. PEG being put in on 10/28/14.

He also had an issue with a temporary facial paralysis this morning. I did not see it, but he mentioned it this evening. Has anyone experienced this?

Any suggestions or helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: Facial Swelling/Burning throat - 10-19-2014 07:45 AM
Kaylacole
My mother suffers with a lot of swelling in her face and neck area also . The doctors told us it was Lymphedema. The doctor ordered Rehab in which certain facial exercises were done to help the fluid learn to route itself through other avenues . It did help some but really it takes a long time before the swelling stops. My mom swells More so in the morning but after she walks around it seems to go down some.

Sandy
my mother had a cup of crushed ice with her all the time. She nibbled on that a lot for the raw burning in her throat. But my mother did have the peg so we made sure she got the calories she needed . I think you should push for the peg sooner than the 28th. That's still a week away and that's to long to go without eating.

Take Care
Heid
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum