Posted By: beermanx help please.. - 08-27-2014 12:56 AM
Hi, I have a question. I started eating food by mouth this week. Also I am having dry mouth issues. I noticed, on my inside cheeks, both sides of mouth in the back by molars. There are patches of bumps. They dont hurt, but I was wondering if this was due to damaged saliva glandes! Or what could it be. Thank u.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: help please.. - 08-27-2014 03:41 AM
This is one of the after effects of having rads. It will gradually get a little better. Many of us will always carry a water bottle with us everywhere we go due to dry mouth.

There isnt much that can be done to help the dry mouth problem. Sleep with a humidifier, carry a water bottle, or try prescription medication pilocarpine (works for some).
Posted By: beermanx Re: help please.. - 08-27-2014 04:37 AM
Thanks christine. So the lumps on my cheeks, back by my glands, and the dry mouth are due to radiation. What is weird is, it feels like my mouth is trying to make some saliva... ty
Posted By: ChristineB Re: help please.. - 08-27-2014 11:17 AM
Im not sure about the lumps, sorry I misread your post. That should get checked out by your ENT.

The dry mouth unfortunately is normal.
Posted By: beermanx Re: help please.. - 08-27-2014 01:27 PM
Hi, it seemsl the lumps do go awa during the night. Most anyways. I am thinking its due to me chewing my food back there. I pray.
Posted By: beermanx Re: help please.. - 08-27-2014 09:19 PM
I just looked close at these, and they look clear. Like water blisters.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: help please.. - 08-27-2014 10:02 PM
I had the water blister like-bumps after radiation. They would come and go, and eventually appear less frequently. It's been 8 years since I had radiation, so I don't recall what my doctor said they were. Definitely check with your doctor.

Your mouth is still healing, so it is a good idea to rinse after eating - just even a salt water rinse. Also, watch what you eat. Stick with soft food, avoid spicy food, or anything that could irritate your mouth. A few months after RT, I bit into a sandwich that had a hot pepper in it and almost immediately I got blisters in my mouth. Even today I watch what I eat as my mouth is still very sensitive.
Posted By: beermanx Re: help please.. - 08-27-2014 10:27 PM
Were they back by your molars.i have them on both sides, on both cheeks. They are not white, no pain, and no blood. I actually feel ok, little week, but Im ok. I ate mashed potatoes and soft turkey. It feels like inside of mouth is swollen. Feels weird.. thanks
Posted By: Uptown Re: help please.. - 08-28-2014 01:57 AM
I still get those from time to time but mostly on the inside of my lower lip in the side with the most rads.

I would still contact your doctor.
Posted By: beermanx Re: help please.. - 08-28-2014 01:59 AM
Yep, will do. I also have like a metallic taste in mouth..thanks
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum