Posted By: Alpaca 8 weeks out and first ENT check-up - 07-15-2014 04:28 AM
That was a relief. Didn't see my surgeon but the "Head Fellow". She was a very young looking British Indian woman working in Auckland for further experience after qualifying as a consultant in Glasgow. She seemed to have a very clear understanding of my condition. Said everything was good after a thorough check-up, camera down nose etc. Advised me to massage my neck every night to reduce the swelling and said she'd check me every 6 weeks to 2 months. I was happy with that even though it would have been nice to have seen my own surgeon. Now I have a dental appointment at another hospital next week and will see the RO in early September. Still depending on my thick shakes for most of my nutrition and have put on a kilo or two. I can eat soft foods but about 20% remains in my mouth after swallowing. With my cheap version of a waterpik I'm able to wash it out but find the smoothies and thickshakes easier. I'm not too worried about it because I AM definitely improving at the soft food eating. I'll give it time.
Posted By: n74tg Re: 8 weeks out and first ENT check-up - 07-15-2014 11:00 AM
Good for you, doctor visits with good reports are always uplifting. I agree with your wishing to see your original surgeon, sadly he was probably doing someone elses surgery. I haven't seen my surgeon since the surgery 10 months ago. I too have to see what we call residents (licensed doctors gaining experience in their specialty). My attending physician (head of ENT) is always "immediately available" and I've been told that if I feel I need to see him, all I have to do is ask.

My visits always come after a CT and the results have always been, looks really good, sinuses clear, no lymph node swelling, surgery site looks and feels great, rest of your mouth and throat look and feel great, so I don't press for his presence. Anything unusual shows up and I'll be screaming for him to get in there.

Once again, good for you. You came through the treatment nicely, good to have another post treatment and doing nicely family member.

take care

Tony
Posted By: David2 Re: 8 weeks out and first ENT check-up - 07-15-2014 04:44 PM
That's good, promising news, Alpaca. Sounds as if you are on the right road. I wish you continued improvement!
Posted By: Maria Re: 8 weeks out and first ENT check-up - 07-15-2014 06:32 PM
Glad to hear your good news, Alpaca! Your Head Fellow sounds great. Hope your recovery continues smoothly. Spring is on the way!
Maria
Posted By: ChristineB Re: 8 weeks out and first ENT check-up - 07-16-2014 01:58 AM
Congrats on your great check up!

Your recovery in the eating department will come along in time. As long as you are keeping your hydration and calories up your body will heal. Remember it takes a full 2 years so its going to be quite a while before you will discover what your "new normal" is. Slow and steady progress usually works best and thats what you are accomplishing so all is good smile

Posted By: davidcpa Re: 8 weeks out and first ENT check-up - 07-18-2014 01:08 PM
sounds good
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum