Posted By: TomCA Recurring Oral Thrush? - 06-23-2014 06:46 PM
Hi,

I experienced Thrush post surgery and prior to RAD/Chemo, about 3 months ago. Now I am 8 weeks post treatment and have been miserable and finally realized I have it again. I am starting the Fluconazole again today which should get rid of it.

My question is how to prevent this from recurring? I don't want to take these drugs all the time. I assume it is the dry mouth that is the cause of the Thrush this time.

Otherwise, I am doing quite well and have recovered a lot of taste and am much stronger.

Thanks
Posted By: PaulB Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 06-23-2014 07:16 PM
Your're right, dry mouth is a cause, and so is a compromised immune system, and can develop drug resistnce. There are many home remedies that may be of help, if you seach, but right now you need to take the fluconozole, aka diflucan, if prescribed until completion of the prescription even if the signs and symptoms cease. Sugar, yeast, alcohol feed thrush, so you may want to limit that, and improving your immune system will help. Brushing your teeth, tongue, rinsing will also help. Thrush is easily treatable, but if not done, can go to the throat, esphogus, stomach, and possibly systemically if it gets in the blood systm which can happen through the gums, ulcer, stomach whereby it is then invasive or disseminated candiasis, which can be deadly.

Good luck.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 06-24-2014 02:07 AM
There isnt much you can do to prevent thrush. Your immune system is compromised right now which doesnt help. You are right the dry mouth probably plays a part in getting thrush.

I dont know if it helps or not but I would always get a new toothbrush after I recovered from thrush. Try using a waterpik (on its lowest setting w/ wam water and a little mouthwash) to help keep your mouth extra clean. Finish all your thrush meds. Ask your doc for a refill on the prescription so you can quickly obtain another prescription if the thrush pops up again.

Feel better and good luck!

Posted By: davidcpa Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 06-30-2014 12:47 PM
I've had appx 5 bouts with the dreaded Thrush PT and one day my dentist told ne to eat some Activa every day. Have done so for a few years now and no Thrush so I don't know if I'm lucky or it's the Activa but I'm going to continue with the Activa.
Posted By: Estelle Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 06-30-2014 12:59 PM
I keep getting oral thrush, ever since radiotherapy finished and the mucositis healed. Every few weeks. I have almost no saliva. I do use artificial saliva, which is only minimally helpful.

I've been through Nystan, etc, but I do have Fluconazole now, at least it keeps it at bay for a little while.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 06-30-2014 01:44 PM
Some people never really clear thrush because of the abundance throughout the gut. Treating repeatedly only kills off active cultures which repopulate within days. Other probiotic type products include Three-Lac and Five-Lac.
Posted By: OzMojo Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 07-01-2014 06:24 AM
Fluconazole did the job for me after several recurrences. Hope it works for you.
Posted By: bill swackhamer Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 07-01-2014 08:51 PM
Im out of treatment a yr now. The past 3 mos. Ive been treated for thrush. My last checkup 4 days ago my dr. said he didnt see any sign of it. It has gotten very difficult to talk and to swallow and now feel like my tongue and inside of mouth is swollen. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms. I cant seem to get a reason. I am back on Diflucan but doesnt seem to be helping much this time. Really miserable here. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks, Bill
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 07-02-2014 02:12 PM
Did you have a neck dissection? And what kind of cancer ? BOT?
Posted By: bill swackhamer Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 07-04-2014 03:31 PM
Back of tongue and aong lower left base. also into tonsil and one node.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Recurring Oral Thrush? - 07-04-2014 08:44 PM
If your thrush is hanging around that long you may need to try a different approach. Regardless of what you use, keep in mind, thrush resides in all of our digestive systems. Treating hard for a little while kills the active yeast but it can repopulate rapidly and often requires a follow up treatment.

It is also important to eliminate sugar, alcohol, yeasted breads, even strong scents when it is particularly stubborn.

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum