Posted By: sweetpe1 side effect from Rad treatment - 06-11-2014 10:11 AM
Its been only a week since my mother finished her 35 RAD treatments. She is having some type of Acid tasting in her mouth and through her nose. She was wondering if this is from the RAD treatments.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: side effect from Rad treatment - 06-11-2014 11:00 AM
Congrats to your mother for completing her treatments! Being only one week post rads, the acidic taste is normal. The radiation is still working even though she has finished her treatments. Recovery from radiation can take a long time. In a couple weeks your mother should begin to feel a little better. Continue pushing her intake with the minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water daily for at least the first year. Ask the doc about adding high protein whey powder to her diet to help speed healing. It dissolves easily in water and can go down the peg tube if she has one.

Best wishes with her continued recovery!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: side effect from Rad treatment - 06-11-2014 12:23 PM
Sweetpe,

She may very well feel much worse for the next 2 weeks so please don't get alarmed if she does and also tell her if she does, it's pretty normal. Always consult her docs if you need to.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: side effect from Rad treatment - 06-11-2014 02:36 PM
HI there... it's VERY NORMAL. It felt like acid hitting the back of my throat every time I swallowed and my tastebuds were TOAST. hugs. Tell her to hold out. A few more weeks and she will begin the VERY SLOW process of healing. I just remember one day a few weeks out I braced myself for the burn when I swallowed and was surprised when it was okay... She'll get there. And yes, It is very much from rads. it literally cooks you on the inside.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum