Posted By: Antholscher Tongue sensitivity - 04-23-2014 05:33 PM
I am 4 weeks out from my latest biopsy/dissection and the tip of my tongue feels like it is scalded. This gets worse as the day progresses. This was my 13th surgery and the first time I have experienced these sensations. I have not had any chemo or radiation so these are not the cause. There seems to be no reason for it, this surgery was not any different from any of the others so the symptoms are confusing.

Has anyone else experienced this? What helped? Did it pass?

I would appreciate any input you may have.
Posted By: Bart Re: Tongue sensitivity - 04-23-2014 06:37 PM
Given the circumstances you describe, it looks to me like you have some nerve damage in your tongue, likely from one or more of the 10 surgeries (!) you've had. I have some non-cancer related experience with that in my right leg due to a couple of gun-shot wounds, one of which went squarely through the sciatic nerve.

This is a different problem than regular neuropathy, you need to talk with a neurologist about it, IMHO.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Tongue sensitivity - 04-23-2014 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know the extent or location of your surgery, but would think it may have a role in your current tongue sensitivity, escpecially after 13, in addition too, any anethesia given, pain meds. Some medications can cause tongue swelling, taste changes, and sensitivity, as well as medical conditions like dehydration, kidney impairment, thrush, which I mention since they happen to me. You may want to stay way from acidic, hot, spicy and sharp textured foods as not to irritate the mouth, use soft or baby tooth brushes, and check for any sharp teeth that may be cutting into the tongue or biting at night. Any symptom not resolving over time should be brought to the attention of your doctors.

Good luck.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Tongue sensitivity - 04-23-2014 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear you are having a problem. Its possible nerves were damaged with the surgery. Neuronton is a prescription pain medicine that works for nerve damage. I suggest checking in with your doc about the problem and ask about the medicine while you are there. Maybe it will help. Hopefully in time you will move past this painful point.

Best wishes!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Tongue sensitivity - 04-24-2014 02:25 PM
I'm going to agree with everyone here and take it a step further. Since you have a history of tongue cancer and treatment (surgical) I would push the dr. to take a look at the area and keep a close eye on it yourself. as you know this cancer can skip around - and lack of a sore or white area doesn't always mean there's no cancer. Hugs and here's hoping it stops hurting.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum