Posted By: Karalee Blisters - 03-29-2014 02:29 PM
My IMRT ended on 3/25/14. My neck and right cheek were bright red on the last day. Now they are getting weepy spots and blisters. Any suggestions to make them heal faster?
Posted By: Uptown Re: Blisters - 03-29-2014 04:28 PM
Domeboro soak. Comes in a powder form. You soak gauze with some powder in water and place them on the blistered areas. Heals quickly.
Posted By: Karalee Re: Blisters - 03-29-2014 10:44 PM
Domeboro worked great! Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Blisters - 03-30-2014 04:54 AM
Great news! I'm glad you got some relief.
Posted By: n74tg Re: Blisters - 03-30-2014 12:14 PM
It won't help to know this now, but did you use Aquaphor during radiation treatment?

Tony
Posted By: Karalee Re: Blisters - 04-01-2014 10:07 AM
I tried Aquaphor for a while and then switched to Curel Intensive Healing which seemed to work better.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Blisters - 04-01-2014 12:30 PM
I used Aquaphor, and then cetaphil, which I found less greasy. I never needed anything further than this.
Posted By: David2 Re: Blisters - 04-02-2014 05:37 PM
For me the best was silver sulfadiazine. Thick white goop but it did the trick.

Congrats on getting through it!
Posted By: Liam Skye Re: Blisters - 04-05-2014 12:24 PM
During treatment (18 rads down, 15 to go) I'm using a cream called Alra. It contains aloe gel, soluble collagen, vitamin E, lanolin and allantoin. It's expensive, (I paid $12 for a 4 fluid ounce bottle) but it gives good relief. I'm going to look into the Domeboro as well. Thanks for the tip.

Karalee - hang in there and good luck! Thanks for bringing this topic up - I learned something that may well help me out and I greatly appreciate it.

Liam

Posted By: ChristineB Re: Blisters - 04-05-2014 05:18 PM
When using the creams and ointments, never put them on right before you go for treatment. It can interfere with rads.

When applying the cream, always pat it on gently. Never rub it in. Allow the cream to soak in. When the skin has open oozing sores, lightly pat the cream on and place a nonstick gauze pad on top to help the wound stay clean. Never let the shower run full stream on open, oozing sores but its ok to slowly pour warm water over the area.

Hang in there!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum