Posted By: Alpaca Mouth Cleaning - 03-09-2014 06:49 PM
Nearly three weeks after surgery and finding it hard to clean my mouth. I can't gargle and swish and I'm almost out of the green swabs supplied by the hospital. Someone gave me a little pointed syringe to swish water onto the flap but I'm struggling with that, getting my body wetter than my mouth.

I have long thought of investing in a waterpik but feel that right now would be too early to use it. I need a gentler, more manageable syringe than the one I've got and I'm going to have to order some swabs online. There doesn't seem to be a New Zealand outlet.

I have a very stiff jaw which also makes things hard.

Any ideas?
Posted By: JamesD Re: Mouth Cleaning - 03-09-2014 06:55 PM
Waterpik is worth the investment. The settings are adjustable to your liking.
Posted By: David2 Re: Mouth Cleaning - 03-09-2014 11:25 PM
I'm so sorry to read of your troubles, Alpaca! I second James's suggestion of the Waterpik. The one I bought has a range of settings from barely pulsing to quite strong. I have to think you can find one where you live. At a minimum you can get it on Amazon (always use the OCF link!).

Sending good thoughts your way.
Posted By: tristeve Re: Mouth Cleaning - 03-11-2014 08:13 PM
I vote for the water pik. I bought one 4 years ago, shortly after treatment and still use it often. That is one of the lingering side effects, when I eat there is always food stuck to my teeth. It must be a lack of saliva issue.

steve
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Mouth Cleaning - 03-13-2014 12:24 AM
get the waterpik deluxe with the tongue cleaner (spoon like attachment) it's awesome. Lowest setting it will shoot the water around your mouth with minimal pain but it cleans really well. Hugs.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum