Posted By: fishmanpa Son of a.....! - 12-21-2013 12:36 PM
So apparently you can get an attack of gout in the knee! I have it in my left foot as a result of treatment. The first attack hit me the week I got home after treatment. I woke up Wednesday with a little ache in my knee. By Thursday night I was in agony and could barely walk! My partner suggested it could be gout. I told her I never heard of it in the knee. Anyway, I took the meds my MO gave me and by Friday AM it had eased a smidge. I consulted Dr. Google and sure enough, it can manifest itself in the knee. The knee looked a bit swollen and red too.

Not much I can do other than take the meds, ice it down and ride it out. It's screaming this morning and causes pain of another dimension! Just needed to vent is all.... Ugghhh...

"T"
Posted By: PaulB Re: Son of a.....! - 12-21-2013 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear T. I think it can go to any joint. A friend of mine had it effect his hips, after years of uncontrolled gout in the feet, and needed hip replacements. There are foods that may trigger, but I'm no expert on the subject, and some other possible remedies like turmeric, pure cranberry, blackcherry juice. I guess to get rid of the uric acid.

Feel better.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Son of a.....! - 12-21-2013 02:43 PM
Sounds horrible Mr. T. What's the link to treatment? We've had a lot of gout in our family but nothing for me...yet! Hope it gets under control soon.
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: Son of a.....! - 12-21-2013 03:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I know diet is a contributing factor and I do eat some of those foods but on a very limited basis. You would think that I would get a flare up immediately or within days of consuming them but that's not the case. Since the end of treatment in April, I've had three flare ups in my left foot/big toe area (classic spot). This is the first time in my knee. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as they come up out of the blue.

There are plenty of links for treatment. I don't have any specific one. I just did a quick Google on gout and knee and saw that it's actually not that unusual. Joy joy eh?

I'm taking Indomethacin 50mg 3x daily. It's an anti-inflammatory typically prescribed for gout symptoms. My MO prescribed it. It usually takes about thee days or so before it really kicks in. The flare ups I had usually resolve in about a week or so.

"T"
Posted By: PaulB Re: Son of a.....! - 12-21-2013 03:45 PM
Chemo is a factor, and may very well be the culprit, and caused my kidney stones, so the doctors say. The may be some correlation with gout, kidney stones too, not sure. My stones was back pain symptom, I contributed to weight lifting, but after a blood test, my creatine was sky high.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Son of a.....! - 12-21-2013 04:50 PM
Uric acid buildup as well as calcium is pretty common during cancer and treatment. The kidneys have to clear those, too, and we know what chemo does to those little organs. There are so many things that really taste good that cause uric acid buildup. I remember back in the 60's when gout was called the "rich man" disease because it was believed it was caused by rich foods.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Son of a.....! - 12-21-2013 09:00 PM
Very sorry to hear about yet another side effect. Think of them like side dishes piled on the plate at the hofbrau. Just deal with them one at a time. Hang in there and Merry Xmas, Don

Posted By: ChrisN Re: Son of a.....! - 12-21-2013 11:16 PM
Gout sufferer here. Chug an entire bottle of black cherry juice.
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: Son of a.....! - 12-21-2013 11:23 PM
Thanks Chris!

I have to head out in a few to pick up the little lady from work. I'll stop on the way home and get me some....limping all the way! I'm a few days into this flare up and I'm one hurtin' pup!

"T"
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: Son of a.....! - 12-23-2013 05:47 PM
~Whew~... finally it's eased up. Between the meds and the juice I guess it did the trick.

That's a nice Christmas present for sure!

"T"
Posted By: donfoo Re: Son of a.....! - 12-23-2013 08:09 PM
Great news!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum