Posted By: shannette22 Burgers and Beer - 09-05-2013 06:26 PM
This is kinda silly, but my Dad couldn't wait to eat hamburgers again. His doc tells him he shouldn't eat them because they're bad for you. Ha. I mean, seriously? He's not talking about eating a hamburger every day or anything. I know they aren't the healthiest choice, but everything in moderation. He also told him no alcohol at all since his white blood cells are low. Having some beer and wine was something my Dad has really enjoyed lately. Does anyone else here have a little alcohol once in a while? Clearly, in excess wouldn't be good but that's not good for anyone. He just wants a beer while he watches football. I figure this doc is clearly at the far end of the super healthy spectrum, considering he told him not to eat burgers, either. Thoughts? Do any of your drink or enjoy a beverage now and then?
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-05-2013 06:31 PM
Actually, a medium rare burger was the first beef I was able to eat since treatment ended. And beer? I had a few last weekend! I can't do wine but a nice pale ale was just wonderful.

Everything in moderation wink

"T"
Posted By: donfoo Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-05-2013 07:35 PM
A burger and a beer once in awhile is a good thing as it lifts the soul. On balance, the benefits outweigh any negatives. Why bother going thru treatment unless you can enjoy a beer now and then :-)
Posted By: PaulB Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-05-2013 07:42 PM
Ha! Bad for your health lol. Like chemo and radiation isn't. I couldn't eat hamburgers or ground beef for a long time. It was a texture thing I couldn't take or swallow. Now I enjoy them, but like to eat mine rare! A little risky, but so it eating vegetables or rice, pasta that is not stored properly, reheated or left out too long. I do like like Sushi too, but cant eat most fish if cooked. If hamburgers are cooked medium, I can't eat them or swallow, and most other meats too, and tend to like fatty cut meats. I like hamburgers that are mixed cuts, fatty, like the steak burgers fom Omaha steaks. Maybe I'll make mine in the future mixed with sirloin or chuck, brisket and short ribs. Haven't tried the Kobe Beef burgers, but heard thier good, but may be American Wakobe beef something here, which is very similar, same beef, but not from Kobe in Japan.

Beer was one of the first things I could taste, besides coffee. I think it's the bitters. Light beer, cheap beer seems to have more carbonation that burns more, and prefer more wheaten beers, dark beer, stouts, pale ale's, even lagers mixed with tomato juice like a Bloody Mary, but with beer, also called Michalada. I can make three drinks with a bottle, and that's usually my limit once in a while, and If I can't drink it, I'll cook with it lol. Guinness beef stew tastes good, and made lamb chops with stout sauce with mashed potatoes, creamed spinach a few times smile

I'll stick with enjoying what I can, while I can, and when I can.
Posted By: Mamacita Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-05-2013 08:46 PM
[quote=donfoo]A burger and a beer once in awhile is a good thing as it lifts the soul. [/quote]

You sir, are a poet among poets.
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-05-2013 09:34 PM
Ha! Ron's two most favorite things when he was able to eat and chew! He was a Burger and a Beer man for sure! And even though Ron knew it wasn't good, that man drank beer until 1 month before his passing, I didn't like it but "he was the Captain of his own Vessel" so I just let him at it! If your dad is on meds that could be another reason, it will intensify the "buzz" if he has pain pills so he needs to be careful, it may knock him out, but hey let a man have his beer or wine sometimes! Especially during football!
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-05-2013 10:24 PM
[quote=SUEZ]let a man have his beer or wine sometimes! Especially during football!
[/quote]

Ahhh yes! Now, if it was only Ok to have a stogie with that beer during the game.....

"T"
Posted By: ChrisN Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-06-2013 03:36 AM
Vegans die too (they just wish they'd had a porterhouse and a Guiness beforehand)
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-06-2013 12:50 PM
Let me get this straight....Chemo, aka off the chart POISON, is good for you but a burger and a beer is not? I rest my case.
Posted By: CMo the Hokie Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-06-2013 07:03 PM
I have to admit, a burger was the main thing I craved post surgery. Having the teeth removed limited what I could eat, as I had 1/2 of my bottom teeth left. Made biting difficult. I could mush a McDonald's cheeseburger ok. Can't wait to sink my teeth into one of those Monster burgers, but alas, I do not know when.

I agree that the dark beer tastes wonderful, having been an excessive 'social' drinker before. I now limit to 2 or 3 at a sitting. Seems to calm the nerves a bit.

Can't say I miss a stogie, as I didn't smoke 'tobacco', but I find great relaxation and pain free side effects from another smoke. wink
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-07-2013 02:03 AM
[quote=CMo the Hokie]Can't say I miss a stogie, as I didn't smoke 'tobacco', but I find great relaxation and pain free side effects from another smoke. wink [/quote]

Amen! But that's an entirely different subject ~lol~

"T"

PS... Tonight, I had steak for the first time since treatment ended. A wonderfully prepared dish at our favorite Thai restaurant. It was incredibly tender and flavorful. While it was a bit difficult to swallow I was able to enjoy it without too much issue. A sign that I'm getting better smile
Posted By: rosymonroe Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-07-2013 02:58 AM
congrats on your first steak! I tried one a week ago but unfortunately it was cooked on the grill at a friends house and a bit overdone, I prefer mine bleeding and I am guessing that is a necessity with the lack of saliva now. I managed a couple of bites but they were not pleasant to get down. Still waiting for my chance at an extremely rare and tasty rid eye. smile
Posted By: donfoo Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-07-2013 04:46 AM
I just read that eating one steak cuts a day off your life. LOL

Glad you spreading your wings as a bird of prey!

Just be prepared to pay up for the prime cuts - market and rib eyes do great as Rosy is drooling for.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-07-2013 09:48 AM
I cooked a pot roast (chuck roast) in the slow cooker the other day, and then Oxtails the next. Theses are fatter cuts of meat, which can be trimmed, but I don't, and were so tender, tasty. Fat rules!
Posted By: tina77 Re: Burgers and Beer - 09-07-2013 05:36 PM
The slow cooker is very much my friend, between the tenderness of the meat, and the sauce...ahhh, sauce, there is never a better word for the OCF family!

Plus, the joy of eating a small amount of alfredo sauce without having to worry about the fat content, since I don't eat much anyway. Try it on steak, it's pretty damn good even if the steak is overcooked.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum