Posted By: shannette22 Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-01-2013 07:50 PM
So, my Dad finished all of his radiation and chemo treatments and had a PETscan about 3 weeks later. Is this normal? To have one so soon after? I thought maybe it was just a routine thing. He started all his treatment cancer free, since they got everything out in surgery. Surely, cancer wouldn't pop up 3 weeks after or during treatment, would it? I guess worst case scenario is more chemo. He has been doing okay and is adding more foods to his diet. Right now, his new thing is spaghetti. smile. He has a doctor appointment Tuesday morning, so I'm sure he'll get the results then. Just wanted to hear what y'all thought.
Posted By: shannette22 Re: Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-01-2013 08:06 PM
Actually, I guess I should note that he completed his radiation in mid April and then he did just chemo until the end of July. I've read you can get false positives on the PET scan Because of the healing from the radiation. But, since he has been done with radiation for almost 5 months, maybe he wouldn't have any false positives.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-02-2013 05:10 PM
Hi Brandi,

I think you are correct in that radiation is the cause of false positives. Given the timing of the end of rads the PET should be good. Hopefully the docs would take all that into consideration too.
Posted By: shannette22 Re: Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-03-2013 09:28 PM
Got results--all clear! He doesn't have another scan for 6 months.
Posted By: JamesD Re: Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-03-2013 09:32 PM
Brandi that is great news. Tell your Dad we celebrate with him. I am sure all of you are breathing sighs of relief.
Posted By: JamesD Re: Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-03-2013 09:33 PM
Brandi that is great news. Tell your Dad we celebrate with him. I am sure all of you are breathing sighs of relief.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-04-2013 12:26 PM
SUPER!!!
Posted By: PaulB Re: Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-04-2013 12:29 PM
Good news!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-04-2013 12:53 PM
Congrats on the great news, Brandi!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Petscan 3 weeks post treatment? - 09-04-2013 04:00 PM
wooooot!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum