Posted By: tina77 New lump elsewhere - 08-22-2013 04:14 AM
Hi all, well, I am approaching the 1 year mark and a few weeks ago found a rapidly growing lump on my shin. As I am a baseball player, I originally dismissed it as some type of injury, but it has been growing. Went to my GP - she's sending me off for more tests.

Anyone have anything similar?
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-22-2013 06:13 PM
No... frown on your shin? hopefully it's a clot of some sort. Hugs and hope its nothing cancer related.
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-22-2013 11:05 PM
Yep, it's about the size of a mandarin orange - over the span of 2 weeks.

2 docs so far have not a freaking clue, so it's getting biopsied.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-23-2013 04:50 AM
That's scary - frown very much hoping itsnot cancer related. Though it sounds quite large. Hang in there..
Posted By: donfoo Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-23-2013 08:46 AM
Tina,
Glad you are getting this checked out and hope it comes back as some infection or something not cancerous. wishing you well, don
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-23-2013 01:17 PM
Wow something that big, I'm surprised they aren't removing the whole thing?
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-25-2013 03:28 AM
It's hard as bone. About 8 years ago I took line drive to the shin when I was pitching, and it never healed properly, so I had a lump about the size of a quarter which was just calcification. Then about 2 weeks ago I noticed it had gotten substantially bigger. Thus the various tests they are doing. I'm now waiting on results. More waiting, ughhh.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-25-2013 05:12 AM
Ugh... Seriously hoping its nothing - hugs.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-25-2013 01:52 PM
Man, it's ALWAYS something!!
Posted By: ngk Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-25-2013 07:21 PM
Waiting on the results with you. ~ nancy
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-26-2013 04:13 AM
Well, if nothing else, this whole process has taught me patience, which has never been my strongest suit. I've never really believed it was a virtue...I'm more the squeaky wheel type.

Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-26-2013 09:51 AM
Tina - They are both virtues. Sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel to get things done. It's good you went for tests. The waiting part is the worst so keep pushing for the results and let us know what's happening. Sure hope it's nothing serious.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-26-2013 03:44 PM
ditto. hugs.
Posted By: PaulB Re: New lump elsewhere - 08-26-2013 04:39 PM
Hopefully it's something minor. I have no idea what it could be, but I did have a large lump in my back, which did not hurt that turned out to be benign fatty tissue, Lipoma, and eventually disappeared. Good luck.
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-02-2013 01:35 PM
So, my surgeon said he definitely wants a biopsy, especially because it's on the same side as all the other crap.

Did I say crap already...Crap!

Biopsy is next Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-02-2013 02:15 PM
Wishing you all the best with the biopsy!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-04-2013 02:08 AM
Tell him to hurry and get you in before if he can, that's a months wait at this point. You don't deserve to wait any longer. Still hoping its nothing,,, hugs
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-06-2013 01:41 PM
Hey how did the biopsy go yesterday? smile hopefully it's a quick recovery - sadly the waiting game begins. frown we're awaiting biopsy results for my father in law too so you have company. With him though we have a definite tumor dx - just not sure what type. It's lower esophageal cancer they're thinking but we can't move forward without the pathology - hopefully your issue is benign - hugs!
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-07-2013 01:34 AM
Sorry, should have been more clear, it's this coming Thursday (the 12th). Oddly my last biopsy leading to the Dx was September 9, 2012. Hope that's not some kind of bad omen.

Sorry to hear about your father in law. I may lose my mind from the waiting. Got pretty snappy with another lawyer today...
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-08-2013 03:37 AM
I don't blame you the wait is unfair!!! Kick them in the pants.
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-13-2013 03:39 AM
So, had my biopsy appointment today, and they decided after looking more closely not to do one. They are concerned it might be in the bone, and apparently a biopsy is not the way to go, so went for x-rays, and waiting on what other tests, but thinking PET/CT.

Pretty discouraged right now.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-13-2013 04:01 AM
frown fingers crossed its not bone or anything frown
Posted By: tamvonk Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-13-2013 08:08 AM
Tina, I know this waiting for anything definitive is just awful. At this stage though you are borrowing sorrow from tomorrow. This could well be nothing serious. I am praying that is so. You know all the helpful advice to keep busy and try to think of other things. When I was in this position I also found a blue sleeping pill a must to get a good nights sleep to avoid over thinking everything.
Know that we are thinking of you and keeping our thoughts positive.
Tammy
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-13-2013 12:21 PM
Yes, I know. The pity party has passed, and I'm now just irritated that I waited for this appointment, only to now have to wait yet again for other appointments.

I'll be honest in that it took me a while to let go of the anger of misdiagnosis for several months (my GP, twice told me it was nothing, then the 3rd time that it was a canker sore and tried to burn the tumour off), which allowed this to grow substantially. This has brought up those feelings again.

I have again shoved them aside, and am being proactive on everything, pushing for early tests, but geez, it's tiring to always have to push.

Either way, it is what it is, and I'll deal with it.
Posted By: PaulB Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-13-2013 12:32 PM
The waiting is the worst! I have no patience for it either, but I was always like that. When I want something, I want it now, not tomorrow, but yesterday. I guess when you're like that you expect that from everyone else, but found in the medical field, it's not like that. Good luck with further testing.
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-19-2013 01:49 AM
So, still no news on my weird alien growth. The x-ray came back normal so they have ruled out a sarcoma. That's good news. Now going for a CT to try and figure it out.

Also had my 1 year - chest xray good, blood good, but they found an anomaly on the flap on the CT. Surgeon is pretty sure it is the artery, but is following up in month to make sure.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-20-2013 03:29 AM
When is the ct...?
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-20-2013 12:11 PM
Turns out he wants an MRI - Wednesday morning. Which may be the fastest MRI ever.

I love my surgeon - he gets me, and knows I'm stressed about this, so he made sure it was expedited. He also said if we need a biopsy done, he'll do it himself.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-20-2013 02:55 PM
Great... though now would be better!!! ;o) some hospitals hold spaces and then are able to give them away the day before, maybe call and see if they have any cancellations? This has been several weeks now as far as I recall and next week it sounds like a month that's too long to sort this out. Hoping it's nothing, but the waiting not only sucks but can be deadly if it goes on too long.

hugs
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-21-2013 12:09 AM
Unfortunately there are only so many court appearances that can be moved around (still got bills to pay and all). Since it's the weekend, the difference between Monday and Wednesday will just have to be what it is.
Posted By: Mamacita Re: New lump elsewhere - 09-22-2013 11:48 AM
Tina, glad to hear it's not a sarcoma. I hope Wednesday's MRI brings more good news. & your surgeon sounds like a keeper!
Posted By: tina77 Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-01-2013 11:46 AM
OK, so MRI results are in and my weird alien growth is simply an inflammation. We don't know the source yet, but it is not a tumor of any kind.

Whew.

I am leaving for Napa this afternoon, and plan to be pleasantly toasted in wine country for a week. Happy to celebrating rather than drowning my sorrows.
Posted By: PaulB Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-01-2013 11:49 AM
Great news! Napa is a nice place to celebrate,
Posted By: KP5 Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-01-2013 12:45 PM
AWESOMENESS!!!! Sooo happy to hear. Have a great celebration!!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-01-2013 01:12 PM
SUPER!!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-01-2013 04:46 PM
I've been sooo worried for you -thank god!! and enjoy nappa we were there in July - check out robert mondavi, and caymus (husbands FAVORITE WINE) I don't drink but he loved nappa. I was more into Santa Cruz... the beach not the amusement park mess. happy travels.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-01-2013 10:31 PM
Fantastic news. Sounds like a great way to celebrate.
Tammy
Posted By: Mamacita Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-02-2013 03:43 AM
Wonderful, I'm so happy and relieved for you!

Now wondering how to induce leg inflammation so I can go to Napa too.......
Posted By: gmcraft Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-02-2013 01:18 PM
So glad for you, Tina. Enjoy your tour of wine country.
Posted By: ChemTeacher Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-11-2013 10:58 PM
Wonderful news Tina! Have a great time in Napa! Have a glass of wine for me. I'm not quite up to wine yet...but getting better everyday!!!
Posted By: sophie theriault Re: New lump elsewhere - 10-16-2013 01:40 AM
Feel for you! Whew, great news. Sophie
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum