Posted By: Mikejw Not Sleeping Well - 01-18-2013 02:06 PM
Hi, I don�t know if this is a common side effect of the chemo or radiation but after 4 weeks post treatment I generally feel ok, even good at times, yet it still seems that I�m have trouble getting good sleep. While my body feels tired, my muscles seem to be tense, like I had too much caffeine or something. I try to get some exercise during the day so I will sleep at night, yet come 11-12 o�clock and I�m still wide awake. So I still take two Tylenol PM�s to get to sleep. Even then I don�t seem to get a good full nights sleep. Even during the day I might feel tired like I would like to take a nap but when I lay down my muscles feel tense like on a caffeine high. I�m tired but just can�t get good sleep. Is this normal? Is it long term or will it go away?
Posted By: PaulB Re: Not Sleeping Well - 01-18-2013 02:36 PM
It's common with cancer, due to the chemo, maybe radiation for that matter, but also with all the concerns on your mind about cancer, treatment, recovery, and you probably don't have the same physical, and mental activities, contact, you did before cancer. Also, take a look at what medications, even OTC products, you are taking that may cause sleep disturbances. Some even have caffeine in them. Discuss this your doctors too. They have medications to help sleep like ambien, and OTC products like melatonin, camomile tea. Try eating some carbs at night, which makes you sleepy, hot shower, warm milk. Light exercise may be helpful, such as walking, and for relaxation some try yoga, tai chi, meditation, massage. Try to stay away from Tylenol products, which interferes with he liver's detoxification cycle, and cause liver toxicities.
Posted By: David2 Re: Not Sleeping Well - 01-18-2013 05:38 PM
Mike, if your system is anything like mine, the OTC and herbal stuff is like a dandelion in a hurricane. I knew this years before I caught dat ol' cancer bug.

Are you on any pain meds? They can keep you up.

For me it was Ambien, either that or Ativan, that was the only thing that would ensure a full night.

Posted By: Shauneen Re: Not Sleeping Well - 01-21-2013 03:04 AM
I would be up until dawn,and then sleep for 14-20 hours if it wasn't for Zopiclone. (I think there is another name for this that starts with an O?)
I also see a couple of shrinks that talk about good "sleep hygiene". But they have never had oral cancer or depression.
My husband is very understanding, but I have trouble sleeping in the same bed as him with my mouth taped shut and then the gagging on mucous in the morning.
Sorry to paint an awful picture - but it's only my own self-portrait. Not yours.
See your GP or PDoc to see if they can help. Physical therapy also helps a lot. Massage was wonderful for me. You are not long out of treatment so maybe it's just a matter of time to get back to the new normal smile

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum