Posted By: Weldon Long Term Hoarseness - 12-21-2012 06:57 PM
I am very blessed to have survived Stage IV..,base of tongue - primary cancer now for 10 years...life is great at 60!...I have noticed a continued hoarseness that has almost always been there in the morning with degress/variation during the day or night, probably depending on how dry I am or eating hot/spicy food...but it seems like it is getting increasingly worse this year. Is it possible that the radiation effects stiffens the vocal cords over the years?
Posted By: PaulB Re: Long Term Hoarseness - 12-21-2012 09:09 PM
Congratulations Weldon on being a long term BOT survivor! I have read there can be late stage effects from radiation even 20-25 years later. Could be a number of other issues, and a regular visit to the ENT might be worthwhile. Good luck, and happy holidays.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Long Term Hoarseness - 12-22-2012 12:41 AM
I agree with Paul. I suggest you make an appointment with your ENT to have a look and answer your questions.
Merry Christmas,
Tammy
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Long Term Hoarseness - 12-22-2012 06:18 AM
Weldon, when in doubt it never hurts to pay the doc a visit and get checked out. Hope it turns out to be nothing serious!!!
Posted By: Weldon Re: Long Term Hoarseness - 12-22-2012 04:45 PM
Thanks..I do have an appointment to see my ENT the first week in Jan...Very interested if anyone has any experience/knowledge of the stiffening/horseness effects of radiated vocal cord tissue long term. It may be a "who knows" kind of question given the damage radiation does and individual response/healing. I am told the tissue never gets better.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum