Posted By: Max1987 Lymph nodes - 10-28-2012 12:05 PM
Hello,

After having neck dissection and getting all neck lymph removed, I wonder what are the consequences of having no lymph nodes on a side of the neck.

Is there any specific care that should be taken throughout my life?

Thanks

Max
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Lymph nodes - 10-28-2012 06:17 PM
Yes.. Go to physiotherapy to repair and strengthen your neck and shoulder muscles and look into lymphatic massage to help with drainage or the fluid as it will build up and cause swelling with out new pathways. Hugs!
Posted By: MikeM Re: Lymph nodes - 10-29-2012 05:43 AM
Hi Max, regarding the neck dissection I have been pleasantly surprised to have minimal issues. Almost a year now, no impact on life style, did a 15 mile Yosemite hike in August, no discomfort or problems. Still feels different but everything works, Dr. thought there could be some puffyness from fluids, nothing so far. Hope yours works out the same.

Take care,
Posted By: Kris Re: Lymph nodes - 10-29-2012 04:42 PM
Greetings Max!
I am a 10 year survivor and not having too many problems. Having physical therapy and massages to loosen up the muscles after radiation will bring the softness back, help reduce the nerve sensitivity and increase your range of motion. This you should start as soon as possible after treatment. Then you'll want to continue as a tune up as often as your insurance will allow (once a year?). Second is getting a good pillow! Best to you - Kris
Posted By: Max1987 Re: Lymph nodes - 10-29-2012 10:41 PM
thanks for your replies.. also, when i do some physical activity (even walking) my left shoulder starts aching... i wonder if this pain is normal and what physical therapy i should do? the docs didn't tell me anything...
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Lymph nodes - 10-30-2012 04:20 AM
Go see a physio therapist - tell them about your surgery they will give you exercises to do daily, and they will tweak them weekly. Avsur shoulder when walking coud be because of the movement and impact as you walk.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum