Posted By: Cindy721 Trachea site not healing - 08-09-2012 09:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone else had come across the issue of their trachea site not healing.

I am 5 months post my second round of radiation. I have had radiation to the right neck in 2009, then a recurrence and radiation to left neck and brachytherapy to my tongue.
Trach came out March 1.

The site would scab over, but never heal underneath. It got larger when the scab would fall off.

My radiation oncologist has me on Pentoxifylline since mid June. My surgeon gave me Silvadine which just aggravated it.

I went to the local hospital's wound healing center and now I have been using Aquacell and Allevyn Adhesive bandages.

Since the area is now constantly moist with the bandages over the past 2 weeks, the hole has opened up again the size of a BB. But there is no drainage, foul odor, skin is nice and pink, can see tiny blood vessels.

I left a msg for the rad onc to call me but haven't heard back since Monday, will call again tomorrow.

I had tongue and base of tongue cancer. I had a clean PET and CT scan mid June.

I know the area can be very hard to heal, but now with it opening back up, it tells me my trachea must never have healed shut.

Of course I am getting very anxious and fear the worst.

Has anyone been through this or have any advice?

Thank you so much!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Trachea site not healing - 08-10-2012 02:10 PM
I definitely thing the double dose of radiation then possible infection is what's causing you not to heal properly. It sounds like you are getting there slowly. But as always keep pushing until they find something that works. Hugs you've been through a lot. smile
Posted By: curly Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-03-2012 05:26 PM
Hi Cindy, can one of your doctors stitch it up if necessary? I know they did that with my mom. Hang in there!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-03-2012 07:59 PM
I had a trach for 6 months and it healed right up. It's talk to Dr time for you and be blunt about it. He should do something to close it.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-06-2012 07:34 PM
I hope things improved by this time? Prior radistion cancause delay, complications in healing after surgery, as does not enough nutrients. Has anyone mentined HBO treatments?
Posted By: Cindy721 Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-08-2012 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone.

Still not healing, trying collagen and see ENT Dr.in Philly on the 19th after my MRI next week.

I take a good multi-vitamin, extra E and also supplement with Clinical Ensure and add whey protein to my Cream of Wheat so I am trying to keep up with nutrients

Yes, I think I am going to need some surgical intervention.
I wish they could stitch it, but wonder how it will hold together. I hope I won't need a graft.

HBO scares me because that was the culprit that made it grow back more severe the third time.

I will post the answers I get from the ENT so maybe I can help others.
Posted By: Cindy721 Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-25-2012 10:38 PM
Well, I had a biopsy before going back in for suggested HBO treatments and it came back invasive cancer.

I had a clear MRI 2 weeks ago, but getting a PET on Thursday and results Friday.

I hope this hasn't spread to my trachea, larynx or lungs. Otherwise I will probably need a flap and graft.

I'm not ready for this.

This is my 4th time around.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-26-2012 01:51 AM
God bless I am so sorry to hear... It's in the throat tissue? Or neck tissue? Hopefully it hasn't spread he has Ben caught early. Take care
Posted By: Kelly211 Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-26-2012 02:34 AM
Cindy, I am saying a prayer for you.
I've been through this three times myself and it seems it gets harder each time. Please don't despair. You have some wonderful doctors at great facilities and hopefully you have caught it early enough to limit the amount of treatment you will need moving forward. Please update us when you feel you can with a little more information about what they have discovered as in where it is and what size they think it is and such. I think you are in the right place for good advice and please feel free to just vent if you want to. I want to vent for you. I HATE this disease.
Posted By: curly Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-26-2012 01:46 PM
Cindy, ugh, I hate reading this. Hopefully it has been caught early.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-26-2012 03:27 PM
Cindy: My heart and prayers go out to you as you go through this, yet again. You CAN do this. Hang in there and keep us posted. We are with you.

Donna
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-27-2012 01:12 AM
Im riding along with Cindy tomorrow for her PET. Seems like this has been found very early which should be easier to treat.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-27-2012 02:43 AM
Tell her best of luck tomorrow will have fingers crossed for her. Hugs
Posted By: julieann Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-30-2012 05:45 AM
Praying for good results on your PET - guess you don't have any news yet? Let us know and thinking of you.
julieann
Posted By: curly Re: Trachea site not healing - 09-30-2012 02:25 PM
Also been thinking about you, many hugs and post when you feel up to it.
Posted By: itsoktoday Re: Trachea site not healing - 10-01-2012 02:41 AM
Hi Cindy, I had a trech and it got down to hole about the size you are describing. My ENT said just keep a light piece of gauze with tape at the top and bottom, not on the sides, so it can get air but stays clean. It seemed like it took forever to get that little hole to close. But eventually it did. I asked about stitches and my doctor said just be patient and it will close. But that was my experience, I hope with yours it will be somewhat like mine so you don't have to go through anymore trauma. Take care!
Posted By: Cindy721 Re: Trachea site not healing - 10-14-2012 05:13 PM
I am scheduled for surgery Tuesday. It was showing up on the PET, but more so at the skin level and not at the trachea. Dr said he will not know what to expect till he gets in there and can see what is going on. Said frozen sections will not be helpful since the area was radiated. Flap will be done, and more neck dissecting on both sides. Could also be a notch out of the trachea, could be a portion of the trachea, could involve nerves and could involve my larnyx as well. Thoracic surgeon will be there also. Dr said it is so rare to have a re-occurance at the trachea site and these types of surgeries re not common. Will reply back when I am up and around again. Once I can remember all of my signature line, I promised Christine I would post it. This will be cancer surgery #4.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Trachea site not healing - 10-15-2012 01:14 PM
This kind of thing always makes me wonder if they worked dirty to clean... Its common sense to work the other way around - clean to dirty - (so you don't have random ca - cells hitching a ride to a clean area) but it doesn't always happen. That was one of the things I first asked my surgeon when we discussed surgery - he looked at me for a second and then asked what I did for a living. smile I told him film work, and tech work for the school board - to his day he still doesn't know I have a medical background smile oh and his response was neck to tongue (at the time neck was thought to be clean) though the first thing he did was put in my trache - best of luck Tuesday. Hugs!
Posted By: Cindy721 Re: Trachea site not healing - 10-23-2012 11:16 PM
Bronchoscope revealed cancer has spread into the inside of my trachea, so the procedure was stopped. Had a second opinion at Beth Israel who concurred that the trachea portion and my larnyx must now be removed. I just cannot get my head wrapped around this.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Trachea site not healing - 10-23-2012 11:18 PM
Cindy, please add a signature so members can better help you. Click on "My Stuff" link then on the drop down click on "edit profile", scroll to the bottom and type in the white box, click submit.

I have sent you a few emails with people I know who are willing to speak to you over what you have coming up.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Trachea site not healing - 10-24-2012 03:54 AM
God bless - and fingers crossed they do the surgery quickly and you heal well.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Trachea site not healing - 10-24-2012 08:34 AM
Hi Cindy, sorry to hear this. My husband too had a reoccurrence and had to have his larynx removed. He also had a total glossectomy etc.
I know that this is daunting and so life changing, but it is very doable.
I hope that you have a treatment plan in place very shortly. Do get this done ASAP.
Always here to support you through this.
Tammy
Posted By: PaulB Re: Trachea site not healing - 11-21-2012 05:26 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Cindy. I just completed my treatment on Monday, and was unable to post or come to this site for 6 weeks. I was at Beth Israel with Dr. Harrison, RO, Dr Jacobson my ENT and Dr Cunnely my Oncologist. I'm praying for you!
Posted By: PaulB Re: Trachea site not healing - 11-21-2012 05:34 PM
I'm so sorry to hear Cindy.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum