Posted By: mcohavi Jaw Pain - 07-29-2012 08:07 PM
I am 1 year and 2 months after treatment for tongue cancer. Stage 4. I am just noticing jaw pain recurring for the first time in many months. It doesn't really hurt to open my mouth, but there is a constant, dull pain and when I touch my cheek on the outside it is very tender and sensitive. Any thoughts? I happen to be seeing my dentist and radiation oncologist this week, but I am wondering if I should see my surgeon too. My last PET scan was November, 2011. Thoughts?? Thank you so much!

Melissa Cohavi
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Jaw Pain - 07-30-2012 02:38 AM
Welcome to OCF! Normally scans after being treated for OC are every 6 months for the first couple years. If you are having pain after being pain free please bring this up to your doctors.

What kind of treatments have you had? Surgery only or also radiation?

Posted By: Erik Re: Jaw Pain - 07-30-2012 06:32 AM
Personally, for me, when it comes to a physical exam for cause, I like my surgeon to be the primary authority. She has a more intimate knowledge of all of the tings she has done in there and is really the more skilled at the physical exam out of my care team. It usually works that she does the physical exams, my MO does the scans and my RO is a good resource for either.

Have you had any dental work done? Also like ChristineB asks, what kind of treatment did you have?

Erik
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum