Posted By: Jack Snodgrass Bloody Secretions - 03-21-2012 03:07 PM
One additional problem I'm having is with a considerable amount of bloody secretions that is a bit troubling . My Dr isn't much worried but it's a worry to me. Anyone else experience this added insult to injury?
Posted By: julieann Re: Bloody Secretions - 03-21-2012 04:56 PM
Jack:
Bloody secretions from where, your neck?
julieann
Posted By: Jack Snodgrass Re: Bloody Secretions - 03-21-2012 06:46 PM
From my throat
Posted By: Maria Re: Bloody Secretions - 03-21-2012 07:17 PM
When exactly did your treatment end - I assume it was rads and chemo?
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Bloody Secretions - 03-21-2012 08:28 PM
I think it's fairly normal as there are probably open sores in your throat and you're likely quit raw. If it's frank blood (bright red) and small amounts I wouldn't worry too much - if it's a large amount definitely have it looked at ASAP. Keep him notified of any changes like that. I was very blessed in that I didn't have a lot of bleeding or rawness to my exterior skin, or my throat/ mouth. It hurt - don't get me wrong, but it was tolerable. My skin just tanned so I had a weird facial tan and neck... peeled a tiny bit but no open sores or blistering... maybe the 1/8 native I have in me helped me out there... darker skin!? hugs... you'll get through this.
Posted By: julieann Re: Bloody Secretions - 03-21-2012 08:39 PM
Jack, I guess you're talking about bloody secretions on the outside of your throat where all the burns are? If so, I definitely had them. The towel I had wrapped around my neck to keep the ointment on would have spots of blood on it. My neck was so raw it couldn't help but bleed some. It wasn't gushing out or anything, just sort of seeping out some. I'd dab the blood off my poor old neck very softly with a cool cloth each day several times before I'd gob on more of the silvertine cream. Is that what you mean? I'm glad the ointment is helping - it sure did for me.
julieann
Posted By: Jack Snodgrass Re: Bloody Secretions - 03-21-2012 09:05 PM
Actually this is from inside my mouth in the area of the back of the tongue... It gets mixed with that thick saliva we all have. I then end up either swallowing the stuff or coughing it up.
Posted By: Maria Re: Bloody Secretions - 03-21-2012 10:10 PM
My husband had a little bit of blood mixed in with the nasty mucus towards the end of treatment and for maybe a month thereafter. He was cautioned to alert them (or just show up at the cancer center) if it was more than that. Hopefully, you should begin seeing improvement with this soon.
Posted By: julieann Re: Bloody Secretions - 03-21-2012 10:41 PM
My mucus was so nasty looking, I couldn't tell what all was mixed in with it. It was different colors and tasted so putrid, could have been blood taste mixed in with putrid taste. I still, believe it or not, have mucus with a putrid taste. But mine could be from something else, after 4 years, so that is why I'm having other tests conducted by ENTs and gastro doctors. All my cancer tests have been Negative for cancer, thank the LORD. I'm sure my poor throat/esophagus being radiated didn't help much either, but I'm alive, and that's what counts. You'll do fine, Jack grin
julieann
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum