Posted By: braziliangirl82 Tongue issue - Help! - 01-31-2012 10:11 PM
Hi guys, today it�s been 56 days of my tongue surgery. I�m eating normally but not speaking normally (and I�ve been invited to minister a class :/). I can be understood, but some letters sucks.

Well, but that�s not the reason from my posting. I�d like to know in how many time your tongues (I had primary closure) healed. I still have white stuff, 10 days ago I went to the doctor and he said my tongue had "fibrosis" and I should be patient for healing. But I have white stuff and today a blister showed up in a place that�s healing!

Please help, I�m on vacations and freaking out with this issues frown How longe you took to full healing?
Posted By: zengalib Re: Tongue issue - Help! - 01-31-2012 10:34 PM
Hey, there, Brazilgirl,
I am 2 1/2 years out of treatment, and I'm still healing. Sometimes my speech isn't always as clear as I would like, but for the most part, it's OK. I had radiatiion and chemo, though (I had lymph node involvement). The radiation caused more problems than the surgery, but hey, I'm still here!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Tongue issue - Help! - 01-31-2012 10:40 PM
White on your tongue could be thrush or scar tissue. Healing can take many months. My doc said it can take up to a full year for swelling to fully subside and you to be completely healed. Having a well balance, high protein diet will help speed your healing.

If your speech isnt what it was before you can seek out a speech therapist to help you. They can work wonders! People are their own worst critics. Maybe your speech really is pretty good but you are more aware now and look for any imperfections. We have a couple teachers on here who have undergone similar surgeries and they are doing very well with their teaching.

Best wishes with your class.
Posted By: braziliangirl82 Re: Tongue issue - Help! - 02-01-2012 02:55 AM
Hi Cristine, I already have speech therapist. But you know, I�m that kind of person that is not patient. Ok, I know, i should be. But see, I�m 29 y.o, independent, run my own stuff... I have reasons to be impatient.

I frea everytime I open my mouth and see white stuff. I�m using my iPhone light and see "psicologic white stuff" everywhere! And I�ll only visit the doctor in 10 days...
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Tongue issue - Help! - 02-01-2012 01:38 PM
Everyone heals at their own pace. I'm a year post surgery and having had radiation and chemo my tongue still has its moments - its sensitive to temperature and swells up or freezes up with icecream, smile but for the most part post op I was doing very well eating most foods and speaking better. Then they radiated me and it was like starting at 0 again... (actually in the negatives) give yourself more time and just continue to work at it. n, and d are my worst letters! smile patience!!! smile good luck!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum