Posted By: hurlock 3 months post radiation Throat extremely sore - 08-15-2011 04:05 PM
I have been following this site for a while and I know everyone is different when it comes to post radiation recovery. I had treatment cancer of the larynx (tomo radiation) and given the all clear CT scan a month ago. My throat continues to get sore and some days it is unbearable.I still get bad coughing spells and cough -up white mucous. My voice has come back about 60% of normal which I am O.K. with. Is it normal to be so sore for so long? Anything I can take to minimize the sore throat? More I talk the worse it gets...by the end of the day my voice is shot.
I am thankful for my prognosis and no more cancer and I hate to post such trivial matters when many on here are fighting greater battles. Thanks for any input. Steve Hurlock
Hi Steve, you are still recovering and it does take several months for your throat to heal completely. You can try swallowing 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil and see if it helps you. It will help keep the throat moist. Hopefully, you will get more guidance from OCF veterans soon.
Posted By: Maria Re: 3 months post radiation Throat extremely sore - 08-15-2011 07:18 PM
My husband still had mucuous and coughing issues at 3 months post. His RO and ENT encouraged him to continue using the BMX (magic monthwash) as the Maalox part of it helped with healing. He is now 5 months post treatment and the coughing and mucous issues are much reduced; he can also talk for longer without it bothering him.
Congrat's on your clear CT scan and keep on hanging in there!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum