Posted By: wfc Tingling of the face/neck - 08-10-2011 01:27 AM
I am two years off the radiation table and started to have tingling of face/neck. My Dr. just told me today that it is due to a B12 deficency.My count was very low and I had to get shots of B12 daily for a week and now monthly, maybe forever.
I have read that radiation can cause nerve damage and that combined with the low count of B12 has caused what the Dr. feels will be permenent nerve damage.
Has anyone heard of or had these problems?
Posted By: EricS Re: Tingling of the face/neck - 08-10-2011 03:40 AM
I believe Brian Hill (founder of OCF & all around good guy) has experienced nerve damage from radiation, if I remember correctly so if that's the case then yes I've heard of it. I have had chemo so my memory could be suspect.

I'm surprised you were ordered to have shots of b12 as its readily available in sublingual tablets in varying doses. It will make you feel great in any case as b12 is a main ingredient in most energy drinks. I use it as part of my supplement regiment to keep me running and get the 2500mcg sublingual tablets at Costco for cheap.

Eric
Posted By: Malka Re: Tingling of the face/neck - 08-10-2011 11:51 AM
I have had a partial mandibulectomy with fibula free flap reconstruction a few years later. Before the original surgery the dr said there could be some nerve damage. I have experienced numbness and tingling in the lip, tongue, neck and outer ear in various degrees. Sometimes there is a definite tingling and at others I feel normal. A portion of my tongue over the site often feels swollen but itis not, basically like I have had novacaine. I just add it to the list of bodily aches and pains that come and go with being alive.
Posted By: David2 Re: Tingling of the face/neck - 08-13-2011 09:10 PM
The nerves are tricky little buggers. I don't find it at all unusual to read of your maladies, wfc. Like you I'm over 2 years out and continue to have weirdness on the left side of my face. In my case I think it was mainly from my neck dissection, but what's the diff?

Dunno about the B12 thing but it sounds interesting to check out. My RO told me that feeling changes - numbness, tingling, etc. - can occur up to 5 years after treatment.

Now isn't that a fun thought to look forward to?

Hang in there!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum