Posted By: bluesmeister Coughing up blood - 06-14-2011 05:31 PM
Just finished 7 weeks of radiation, I feel sometimes there's a lump at the back of my throat, this morning I drank some water, tried to cough up some of the phlegm, and it came out almost bright red. just waiting to hear back from my Dr., if this is normal.

Stage 3 SCC
Radiation
1 round of Cisplatin
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: Coughing up blood - 06-15-2011 01:39 AM

Good job contacting your Doctor straight away.

Your throat could be raw from radiotherapy treatments. Your Doctor will be the best person to advise you.

Congratulations on finishing radiotherapy treatments. Well done!!

Karen
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Coughing up blood - 06-15-2011 02:46 AM
I coughed up blood from my radiation treatments during the entire second half of my radiation course. They have just trashed that tissue with the treatment. For it to bleed is no surprise. Continue to gargle with your salt water and sodium bicarbonate.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Coughing up blood - 06-15-2011 02:50 AM
Yikes!!! Yes defintely have them look at it. You are still pretty early out of rads ( I am 8 weeks) the lump could just be the fact that your throat is still swollen - mine is still tight and sore on and off. And it's easy to irritate it... maybe you ate something that opened up a blister? Good luck!
Posted By: rossnz Re: Coughing up blood - 06-20-2011 01:20 AM
i get occasional traces in my saliva & or phlegm, usually nothing more . dr just says its all the associated traumas around the head & neck and nothing of concern ( easy for him to say !!. ) i think mines more nasal related as i suffered from blood noses a fair bit in my teen years till i got cortirised (sp? now with sometimes the amount of hacking i do to bring up the phlegm or the much needed clearance cough probably upsets a vessel or 2
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum